Flickr

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

The Gourd Garden









Do you remember the rustic trellis we built back in April?  It is now supporting a crop of gorgeous, green, bottle-shaped gourds and is surrounded by pumpkins, sunflowers, and zinnias.  I have fallen completely in love with the gourds! I love the baby ones that are covered in a soft, downy fuzz.  I love their heart-shaped leaves, delicate curling tendrils, and voluptuous fruits.  I love their emerald green color.  I love them so much, I was inspired to break out the watercolors and have a go at sketching them.

If all goes well and we dry them properly, we will have a bumper crop of gourds to paint and play with in the fall.  My oldest has discovered pyrography and hopes to be able to practice his new hobby on them.  In the meantime, I have commissioned a bunch of garden stakes to get him started, and he seems to be getting the hang of it.

I have my usual case of the mid-summer mullygrubs, so I haven't been doing very much on the creative side.  It happens every year.  My creativity and inspiration always seems to dry up in the heat of summer, but I did very much enjoy playing with the watercolors again.  I'm rusty, and need a lot of practice! So, maybe I will paint more gourds.  I recently discovered the wonderful work of artist-illustrator Holly Ward Bimba which also inspired me to try sketching again.  She is a fellow nature lover, and like me, seems to be fascinated by the small things that often go overlooked by most.  She looks closely and carefully and paints with a crisp, clean, and uncluttered style that I truly admire. Looking at her work makes me want to work harder to improve my skills!

16 comments:

Jules Woolford said...

What a lovely painting of the gourd, how beautiful they are. I love the shape. The trellis garden is going to be full of creative inspiration. I hope we get to see the sunflowers and zinnias later too! I enjoyed seeing Holly's work too. I hope the naughty mullygrubs disperse soon, but it seems to me you're doing a great creative job and keeping them in line!

magnoliasntea said...

Love this peek into your garden, Starr. I thought about your earlier post about your trellis when I was putting one together for our cucumbers. Mine is a different style, though, and I used bamboo for mine.
I'm VERY impressed by you gorgeous watercolor of the gourd. It's really good and certainly frame worthy. Hope the mullies take a hike soon. ;)

Michelle said...

Your rendering of the gourd is perfect.

Barbara said...

I love your trellis, gourds, flowers, all of it! The gourds feel like they have a human quality to them. Your watercolor is lovely as well. I had to look up pyrography, and I hope your son gets great results!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Cool trellis. Gourds are so cool and you can do so much with them. If you prep them, I can see your art on gourds. You truly are a woman of many talents.
xx, Carol

Wynette Vass said...

The baby gourds are beautiful. Your son did a fantastic job with the garden stakes. What a nifty idea! Try and stay cool. I saw that the heat index back home is in the 100's. That's too hot way too hot for me anymore. Cheers, Wynette

My Garden Diaries said...

I can not wait to see that bumper crop of gourds! Love that trellis! And your watercolor painting as well! That happens to me in the summer too! And how wonderful that your son has taken up photography! You have inspired me just through this post friend! Happy growing to you and your family! Nicole xo

Al JR said...

Oh my Gourd..., oooeeerrr Mrs..

handmade by amalia said...

This is a nice watercolor. Inspiration can come from anywhere.
Amalia
xo

debsgarden said...

Starr, I like your watercolor rendition of the gourds! I can understand your fascination with them. The heart shaped leaves are especially endearing. I also appreciate the small details in nature often overlooked by others.

Jeri Landers said...

Gourds are the Funny "fruit", they just make you smile! That trellis is perfect amongst your woodland setting and I love how you've used the sticks as garden markers.I hope you planted some birdhouse gourds! I wondered what was climbing up and over my shop's roof, a huge meandering vine..with heart shaped leaves;MUST BE A GOURD PLANT!I haven't a clue how it ended up in this area, birds I guess.

Diane said...

Fabulous pictures love the birdhouse gourd and plant markers very creative.

Hugs Diane

Cheryl said...

A green thumb and an artist... you lucky devil!
big hugs,
Cheryl

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Your gourd painting looks wonderful! I like the different shades of green and the light on it. Great looking gourd trellis too and I'm glad to hear that you'll have a bumper crop. I too enjoy GollyBards paintings :)

Donna said...

Well your gourds are wonderful on that beautiful rustic trellis...I love the markers you made and that gives me an idea! thanks....I'd say your rusty watercolors afar exceed me!

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Happy World Embroidery Day!! It's a day to promote creativity, embroidery and a peaceful movement. All the best :)