Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Abundance






Mimosa Vine or Sensitive Briar


Summer is here and we are basking in her beautiful sunlit days and soft, warm nights.  We eat something from the woods or the garden every single day, and sometimes I am overwhelmed with the incredible abundance all around us.  Dewberries warmed by the sun are eaten out of hand on our morning walks.  Wild oxalis with its bright, lemony crunch has found its way into an Asian style noodle bowl.  Gorgeous, ruby red Swiss chard is sautéed with garlic, olive oil, and a squeeze of lemon and is absolutely divine with any grilled meat or fish.  Lettuce and snow peas and herbs of all sorts find their way into a variety of stir fries.  Needless to say, we are eating very well these days! We have had plentiful rainfall which has made the garden and the woods and the meadows flourish with flowers and fruit and all sorts of flying, creeping, and crawling wonders.  I am so happy and so grateful and so blessed I can hardly express it.  So much beauty everywhere, freely given for us to enjoy.  I hope that wherever you are reading this there might be birds singing, bees humming their joyful hymns, flowers dancing in the sunlight and a cool breeze that makes you feel glad to be alive.

I will leave you with another beautiful excerpt from Elizabeth and Her German Garden which sums up my feelings so perfectly, I just couldn't say it better myself.

"It makes one very humble to see one's self surrounded by such a wealth of beauty and perfection anonymously lavished and to think of the infinite meanness of our own grudging charities, and how displeased we are if they are not promptly and properly appreciated.  I do sincerely trust that the benediction that is always awaiting me in my garden may by degrees be more deserved, and that I may grow in grace, and patience, and cheerfulness, just like the happy flowers I so much love."

Love and blessings!
Starr


15 comments:

Margo Brooks said...

Your chard looks beautiful. Something ate ours down to nubs, despite the fence!

wendy said...

Oh, using garlic, olive oil, and lemon with the chard sounds tasty!! will try it when ours is ready to pick!

Michelle said...

Our chard will be ready soon. Yours looks fantastic.

magnoliasntea said...

Oh my, but you are eating well and colorfully, too. Love that you foraged the berries and oxalis. I love the art of foraging. Your peas and chard look delicious, also.
Have a great rest of the week!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Beautiful and tasty. What do your boys think about foraging for food? What a great lesson for them. Thanks for another lovely visit to your world.
xx, Carol

Barbara said...

Beautifully put, Starr, by you and "Elizabeth and her German Garden". Your photos are exquisite!

handmade by amalia said...

Another lovely post, Starr. I like how you're making the most of your surroundings and enjoying it.
Amalia
xo

Jules Woolford said...

Oh, yumminess! Your description and the wonderful quote are delightful! Enjoy your bounty!xxx

My Garden Diaries said...

I really enjoyed your post here today! To be able to cook and eat from the garden everyday is such a gift like you said!! How awesome are all of your beautiful shots friend! Wishing you more of the same in the days to come! Nicole xoxo

Valerianna said...

Its so good to eat from the land - little bits of wild nourishing. I've been very absent from blogging, good to visit!

Jeri Landers said...

Not only is everything here beauteous to behold, it is delightful to eat as well. I agree wholeheartedly with you AND Elizabeth;being amongst Natures bounty causes one to see the world in a different light. As for my post on the Bug Haven, I think it would be a great project for you and your kids. I know you would find the most wonderful bits and pieces to fill it with. The main reasoning for the tubes and such is to allow the critters a place to nest and lay eggs over the winter. There may be a stinker that sneaks in, but most of the bugs you are trying to attract will mind their own business. Actually, it should have morning sun. When the young Mason bees emerge in the Spring, it is the warmth of the sun that brings them forth.

Donna said...

I love the lush look of your garden and how wonderful to be eating from woods and garden. Summer is a rich time to rejoice and be thankful in our garden's abundance! Your post is perfect for my Seasonal Celebrations meme Starr if you would like to link in. You can find the kick off post here...

http://gardenseyeview.com/2015/05/29/seasonal-celebrations-summer-serenity/

Wynette Vass said...

Sounds so yummy! How wonderful to be able to enjoy what you and your family has sown along with the lush findings in your woods!! Enjoy your summer!

debsgarden said...

Hello, Starr! It took a blogger from New York (Donna) to introduce me to another Alabama blogger! I have spent a little while exploring your last few posts, and you do have a wonderland, most especially because you can see the wonder in it. Where exactly is your location? I discovered Swiss chard a few years ago, and now it is a favorite in the garden for its beauty and in my kitchen for its great taste. Your recipe sounds delicious. Best wishes from Helena, Deb

Tammie Lee said...

abundance indeed!
such lovely images
and i loved considering what you are eating including wild plants.