Flickr

Friday, May 1, 2015







"The garden is the place I go to for refuge and shelter, not the house.  In the house are duties and annoyances, servants to exhort and admonish, furniture, and meals;  but out there blessings crowd round me at every step -- it is there that I am sorry for the unkindness in me, for those selfish thoughts that are so much worse than they feel; it is there that all my sins and silliness are forgiven, there that I feel protected and at home, and every flower and weed is a friend and every tree a lover.  When I have been vexed I run out to them for comfort, and when I have been angry without just cause, it is there that I find absolution.   Did ever a woman have so many friends?  And always the same, always ready to welcome me and fill me with cheerful thoughts.  Happy children of a common Father, why should I, their own sister, be less content and joyous than they?"

                                                                                            ----Elizabeth and Her German Garden

Another thrifting treasure that practically reached out to me from the dusty shelves at a flea market.  A tiny little book with brittle brown pages so fragile that I have to take care when turning them.  Words spoken by a kindred spirit from the past bring two souls together for a moment in time. Magical.  

I shall have peonies this year!! I'm so happy.  They have been transplanted a couple of times before finally finding a spot where they are happy, and this year they will reward me with the gift of their flowers.  It's childish I know, but like Elizabeth, I too think of my flowers as friends. Friends who never judge me and who are not so easily offended. And other than a good spot where they get the proper amount of sunshine and rain, they ask very little.

We are collecting butterflies!! Such fun. My youngest is very enthusiastic and goes out every day with the homemade butterfly net I made for him and hunts his fluttering prey.  I would feel guilty about it if not for the fact that we have been studying insects and learned that they only live for a few weeks anyway.  Besides, it's in the interest of science! Now we are on the hunt for all sorts of bugs to mount and label and frame.  He is planning his own show on Animal Planet.  The next Steve Irwin - only with butterflies.

And now the sun is up and the birds are singing and the garden is calling to me.  There are beans to be planted and twine to be strung for them to climb on.  Another batch of gourd seeds have been soaked overnight and will be planted out today.  Only 3 of the first batch sprouted, so we will try once more.  And we are keen to grow some pumpkins, so those will also be sown today.  Lots to do! The narrow window of planting time is closing fast for us.  Soon it will be too hot for tiny seedlings to survive, so we must hurry and plant everything we mean to for this year.  

What are you planting in your garden?



19 comments:

Jeri Landers said...

Oh, isn't that the most marvelous book?! I love her writing. I found a first edition copy a few years back and it is one of my treasures. The photos are just stunning, you have captured Spring with your camera!

Penny said...

What a lovely post! I got a kick out the quotation where she talks about 'exhorting the servants'. I so agree with her however that being outside in the woods or yard each day is positively necessary.

Barbara said...

Hmmm, servents might be nice even if they need exhorting. Lol.

This is a beautiful post Starr, inside out, from your take on Elizabeth's words, to your own words, to your photos.
Learning quilting can wait.

Now I must go soak some moonflower seeds. It's what I'm planting, and you have reminded me time is short!

Valerie Gardiner said...

What a lovely post Starr,your photos are gorgeous and I feel the same about my garden too. It's pouring rain here today and will be for a few days more and I'm longing to go outside and re-connect with my flowers after 2 weeks away.

margaret said...

how nice it is to see things springing up in the garden at this time of year, you have lots of delights in your woods. Afraid nothing new happening in my garden this year, just hoeing to keep the weeds away!

Jules Woolford said...

I love the sound of that book - a new one to me. I shall check out the second hand places on-line! So glad you have peonies. I inherited one here which was planted over 20 years ago bang slap, right next to a cherry tree-long cut down by previous owners. It never grows very big, and I'm too scared to move it - but it flowers beautifully every year. Happy gardening lovely!xxx

Suztats said...

Love the shared writings from the book! Kindred spirit, indeed. Lovely photos, Starr. While your hosta are in full leaf, ours are mere spikes poking through the earth. So far I've planted peas and parsnips, and today I shall begin planting lettuce.It's too cold yet for most vegies...........

Raewyn said...

Oh yes, I can relate, outdoors is my place to escape too! I hope you had a great day in the garden. We're putting ours to bed right now! Lovely post :-)

Forest Dream Weaver said...

Wonderful find.....I love this woman!
Your place looks magical....

Ruby

My Garden Diaries said...

Such a lovely blog you have here! And your photos are just stunning! That quote in your posts sums up exactly how I feel about the garden and being in it! Thank you for popping by! Happy weekend to you! Nicole

barbara judge said...

How fortunate you were to be in the right spot to pick up that used edition of "Elizabeth and Her German Garden!" I am going to mail your book passage to my daughter that spends lots of her time in her herb and wild garden. I know she will love the passage. Gorgeous photos. Enjoy sowing your garden -- barbara

Tante Mali said...

Your pictures are fantastic, and I have to search for the book! Love the quote you gave us to read!!! This is sooooo true!
Have a wonderful time
Elisabeth

Tante Mali said...

Your pictures are fantastic, and I have to search for the book! Love the quote you gave us to read!!! This is sooooo true!
Have a wonderful time
Elisabeth

Tante Mali said...

Your pictures are fantastic, and I have to search for the book! Love the quote you gave us to read!!! This is sooooo true!
Have a wonderful time
Elisabeth

handmade by amalia said...

This is my first visit to your lovely blog and I'm just in time to enjoy the beauty of nature through your eyes.
Amalia
xo

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Beautiful photos Starr! I read Elizabeth and her German Garden a few years ago. Now I want to read it again :)

CYNTHIA CRANE said...

Your lovely photos have captured some of the most joyous gifts nature holds. And what a gift you have with your camera! But oh! that quote and the book! As it happens I came upon it on Librivox.org recently and am listening to it now while I create my pottery. I haven't come to that passage yet, but will hold it close to my heart when I do!

Raining Iguanas said...

I love that you discovered such a beautiful treasure that way. I picked up a fifty cent copy of Steinbeck's "Travels with Charley" last summer at a yard sale. I'd never read it. Finding the book the way I did added a mystique to my journey reading about his.

Acornmoon said...

hello and thank you for visiting my blog. You must be a kindred spirit as I have also enjoyed reading the book you mention and also "Enchanted April".