Thursday, April 16, 2015

The Riches of Fairies









Every day of spring unfolds a sweeter blessing to behold............

It's been a quiet, peaceful, rainy week.  The woods are gleaming and sweet fragrant with the scent of moss and damp earth.  Baby ferns yawn and stretch and unfurl themselves, and I stroke their soft, fuzzy heads and coo to them just as I would a baby lamb or bunny.  In the garden, we have planted seeds of all sorts - lettuces, spinach, beets, peppers, squash,  and tomatoes.  A trellis has been constructed of felled saplings lashed together with hemp twine.  We are all immensely proud - it was a Sunday afternoon family project that left the boys feeling very "Swiss family Robinson". I see many more rustic garden sculptures in our future :) Gourd seeds have been planted at each corner post and sunflowers and zinnias to surround.  We timed it perfectly.  They have had a week of soft, warm showers to stir them from their sleep.  Fingers crossed we will soon see sprouts!!  and finally, thrift store treasure hunting.  My favorite rainy day activity besides napping.  I really can't believe my luck this time.  It's as if they were sitting there waiting for me to come and get them.  They were even laid out on the same table.  All the Silver Pennies is an anthology of children's poetry first published in 1925.  As you can discern from the title page, most of the poems are related to fairies or the magic enjoyed from growing up with nature as a beloved companion.  This book was written for me! And the other is Pedigree - The Origins of Words from Nature.  Also an unbelievable treasure for me as a nature lover who also happens to be an armchair etymologist.  I don't believe in coincidences.  These books were meant for me, and I look forward to many happy hours spent enjoying their contents.  I literally have a stack of books beside my bed that I am currently reading.  Do you read more than one book at a time? or just one through and then pick up the next?  I adore books and always feel sad when I come to the end of a particularly good one, so I drag them out as long as possible.  Thus the stack of reads in progress. I will leave you with an excerpt from All the Silver Pennies.


The Fairies Have Never a Penny to Spend

The fairies have never a penny to spend,
They haven't a thing put by;
But theirs is the dower of bird and of flower
And theirs are the earth and the sky.
And though you should live in a palace of gold
Or sleep in a dried-up ditch, 
You could never be poor as the fairies are, 
And nay, never as rich.

Since ever and ever the world began
They have danced like a ribbon of flame,
They have sung their song through the centuries long,
And yet it is never the same.
And though you be foolish or though you be wise,
With hair of silver or gold,
You could never be young as the fairies are,
And nay, never as old.

---Rose Fyleman


15 comments:

barbara judge said...

This a a excellent post filled with your rich photographs of your family's touch with nature. Also, your close up of the fern's unfurling was incredible to view. Yes, I read many books at one time switching back and forth at will. Sometimes with an exceptional book I read it straight through. Presently I have a book on pre-order with Amazon titled "A Country Called Childhood" by Jay Griffins. It is a non-fiction. It has some good reviews and might be a type of book you would like? -- barbara

Doniene said...

This post made me smile with contentment! Lovely woods, lovely fern, lovely structure from scratch/thrift and what a treasure of books!

Blessings and hugs!

Jules Woolford said...

Oh joy! Absolutely love this post. I want those books - and I want to stroke one of those beautiful emerging fern fronds. I have a beautiful carved pendant from NZ using the Koru, which is a symbol of new life to the Maori http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/photograph/2422/the-koru

magnoliasntea said...

Your handmade trellis fits your lovely landscape perfectly. I'm impressed, especially as I plan to do something similar with our bamboo poles which is why we grew them. Love the books, too. Great finds.

Mary Ann said...

Love the poem:)

Valerie Gardiner said...

What a lovely post, I've scrolled up and down looking at the beautiful photos and how lucky you are to have found those delightful books. I'm always on the lookout for fern crosiers but they grow up so quickly you have to be in the right place at the right time.

Julie said...

Can't wait to see everything climbing and blooming around that trellis. Are they dogwood trees flowering in some of your photos.

Wynette Vass said...

Beautiful pictures of your Spring! I do love the forest floor after rain. Your trellis is magnificent! Also love the peek into your spot where you create your beautiful pieces of art.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

This is a wonderful post. Your pictures of you forest and the fairy poetry are so perfectly matched. I can't think of another person who would fit these books so perfectly.
Perfectly lovely.
xx, Carol

Tante Mali said...

What a wonderful post!!! Your photographs are - as always - fantastic and secretive! And the books seems to be realy interesting.
Have a happy happy weekend
Elisabeth

Suztats said...

I love the Fairy poem. Your photos are of a fairy garden unfurling and springing to life. I know the fairies are hidden there, somewhere, teasing me with their giggles and whispers....

Penny said...

I love this poem!!! In fact I love your whole blog posting. The pictures are fantastic - I felt as if I were there in person being given a tour. Blessings on you and your family.

Carolyn Saxby said...

Your photos are wonderful ... I felt I was right there in the woodland with you and the books are very beautiful. I like the treasures that you chose to bring home with you.

Thank you for your comments on my blog ... it's always lovely to hear from you. Love, Carolyn xx

CAROLYN SAXBY said...

Last comment was me ...
xx

Tammie Lee said...

such lovely woodland photos.

I have this book, pub. 1928
the cover is different than yours
it sure is a gem of a book! Seeing it here inspired me to pull it out and enjoy a poem, thank you. Lovely weekend to you.