Flickr

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Our Day Trip to Japan















Cherry blossom snow......could anything be more beautiful?  Each year, around the time of my youngest son's birthday, we make our annual pilgrimage to see the cherry blossoms at the Japanese garden located inside the Birmingham Botanical Gardens.  As you can see from the photos, it was breathtaking.  I took lots more. These are just a few of my favorites.

As a mother who, like so many others, sometimes worries that her children are too engaged in a virtual digital reality, it was very satisfying to see my children so obviously enthralled with this glorious display of nature.  Oh, it makes me so very happy.  They were unusually quiet - almost reverent at times.  "Yes," I think to myself, "they get it."  And I don't worry so much.

and I also hope maybe they won't grumble too much when I enlist their help digging in the garden :)))





12 comments:

magnoliasntea said...

Loved seeing the photos and reading about your "day trip" to Japan. What a great trip for your sons. This post reminded me of one of the Dogwood Trails in Knoxville that we sometimes tour during the Dogwood Arts Festival which is going on right now. Here's the link so you can see the Japanese portion of the trail, second half of post:
http://foothillsofthegreatsmokymountains.blogspot.com/2011/04/dogwood-arts-trail-tour.html
Have a great week, Starr!

Margo Brooks said...

You've got flowers!!! I think I saw the benning of a bud on something yesterday, but there is not much here but sleeping trees and tired grass.

Tante Mali said...

Oh, how wonderful. This is magic!!! Cherry blooms in white and light pink - and these garden is a dream! Just had holidays while looking at your pictures!
Thank you for sharing and thank you for your lovely visit! It's wonderful to have you around!
All my best to you and the birthday boy
Elisabeth

Mary Ann said...

Very peaceful looking:) Your sons are wearing shorts!!!! I'm still freezing up here.

barbara judge said...

Great that they were in awe of the Japanese gardens. I feel that kids benefit from such introductions which will maybe not be realized until they are older. It always surprises me when my adult children mention how they used to work in the garden when they knew they could look forward to eating fresh raw tomatoes out of it. And -- everyone of them gardens today. -- barbara

Michelle said...

We always used to go see the Cherry Blossoms in Washington D.C. when we lived in the area. So very beautiful when they are in bloom. Beautiful photos!

Barbara said...

Ahhhh....lovely.

Penny said...

Oh this is just a 'wonderland'! Its always wonderful to get children outside. Some of my grown son's favorite memories of our camping trips in the western states.

Wynette Vass said...

What a lovely and serene day trip you and your boys had. So lovely to see all the gorgeous blooms. We are only seeing bulb flowers blooming at this time and we are receiving a small bit of snow today. Utah April showers! :))

Rajiv Sankarapillai said...

Beautiful post; wonderful pictures !

Kelly Deal said...

How beautiful and peaceful. I can spend all day in that Japanese garden.

Suztats said...

The blossoms are so beautiful, and what a lovely tradition to visit the gardens. I can't wait for blooms to burst here, but so far there's only grey. It'll happen, I know, and I so enjoyed visiting the Japanese Garden with you.