Saturday, March 28, 2015

Woodland Diorama - Hollow Log with Toadstools






Photo from Pinterest source unknown
Photo from Pinterest source steep ravine.com
My love affair with the miniature flora of the forest floor continues........

I came across these wonderful, magical photos on Pinterest and was inspired.  The photo of the giant hollow log is from our recent trip to the botanical gardens (more on that later).  They remind me of all the wonderful fairy tale books I poured over as a child, and I realize that this was where my real love affair with the forest began.  These are tiny, secret places where magical things can happen.  Where magical creatures live and play.  I so wanted it all to be real - the beautiful worlds I found in books - and I suppose I still do.  So, that is why toadstools.  For me, they represent the fairytale forests of my childhood imagination.  That is why I adore them and can't seem to stop myself making them - trying, I suppose, to hold onto some of that magic and perhaps, to pass it along.

Love and blessings from the Woods.

11 comments:

Barbara said...

This is wonderful, Starr! I love your whimsical toadstools! You and Penny of Art Journey seem to have some of the same interests and woodsy inspirations. Going to look in your shop....

Michelle said...

I do like that mini scene.

Kays Kids said...

I adore those hollow logs and their tiny little toadstools. I'm sure fairy's would just love to shelter there. You have the same love as I have
for nature. Your work is magical.

Margo Brooks said...

What a pr vinous story!

Margo Brooks said...

I meant precious!

Valerianna said...

Holding magic in your imagination and passing it along is a very needed endeavor at present, I think! I get lost in the small, hidden places of the forest floor. Maybe by June I'll actually SEE the forest floor! L

Suztats said...

The prevalence of fairies in artworks, paintings, and journal pages speaks to the theory that many of us are drawn to the magic we believed of in our childhood. I think it's a wonderful retreat from the stress and hectic pace of our everyday lives. Your creative works appeal to us all who dreamed of fairy rings, wee elves, and magic forests.

magnoliasntea said...

What a sweet woodland scene you've created, Starr. Beautiful.
Have a great week!

Penny said...

Oh, I had the same dreams as a child. Even today, walking in the woods I'm always looking for little hidey-hole places where some wonderful little creature might be hiding.

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Such a beautifully made little scene!

Tante Mali said...

Starr, what a wonderful work! Wood is such a great material and you handle it with love!
Happy Easter to you and yours
Elisabeth