Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Mr. Mushroom Goes to Town



You know I'm a country girl. But what you may not know is that I also love the city. As in, "it's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there."  Well, I did live there for 12 years.  I grew up in the country where I spent most of my life at my grandparent's farm.  My best friends were the farm animals and the woods surrounding their farm.  Then I grew up, went to college, got a job and found myself moving to the big city at the tender age of 22.  Honestly, I loved it! I loved all the restaurants. The shops. The museums and art galleries and concerts and plays.  I loved all the different cultures that came together in the funky downtown districts where you could find any kind of ethnic food imaginable.  It was a melting pot filled with new and exciting people and ideas and art.  I took to urban life like a duck to water. Really!  It was wonderful to go to a coffee cafe' at midnight and drink cappuccino (this was the 90's after all) and have fascinating conversations with other young people from every walk of life.  It was during this period of my life that I fell head over heels in love with art, and my favorite was modern, abstract art.  It was edgy.  It was cool.  I loved it.

But, as you know, I eventually returned to my roots.  I am a country girl again, and always was deep down in my heart.  Though I enjoyed urban life when I was in my twenties, when I had my boys, I yearned to return to the country to raise them.  But, I have not lost my love of modern art.  To this day when we go to a museum, I am drawn to the modern works.  This little canvas is sort of a representation of everything I love in art.  The background is a stylized, abstract representation of tree bark and lichen, and then of course in the foreground is my sweet little toadstool with his cheerful red  face and white polka dot spots.  He represents the woods I grew up in and the woods I love today.  So there you have it. Yesterday and today contained in a tiny 5x5 inch canvas.  For sale in my Etsy shop.  I hope you like it!

Happy hump day :))

8 comments:

Valerie Gardiner said...

Thanks for telling us a bit of your story, I would never have thought you liked abstract art being such a country girl. The mushroom painting is lovely, my favourite spotty red one!

Barbara said...

Sweet paining Starr, and it's nice to know what inspired it!

Raewyn said...

This is a beautiful piece Starr. Interesting to read your story - I would never have guessed you were also a city girl!!

Margo Brooks said...

Lovely little painting. The dots are perfect . And I like your story too!

barbara judge said...

What a nice piece of nature's art. Like the bark in the background. I too have lived in city and country and like you prefer country. Just something about the beauty of it all and its many moods that makes one contemplate. -- barbara

Suztats said...

Mr. Mushroom looks very happy and at home.

Penny said...

You always seem so serene and happy in the country that I would never have pictured you as being part of the 'city' scene. I love to know this about you -- and your fascination with the abstract. You're leading rich life and doing it beautifully

JennyPennyPoppy said...

A lovely read and post Starr and your Mr. Mushroom is very nicely done :)