Sunday, March 2, 2014

Deconstruction: A Cautionary Tale


This week I began constructing the practice muslin for the tunic pattern I showed you in a previous post.


Things were going reasonably well until I got to the neck binding.


And….problems.  After watching a few YouTube videos about a dozen times, I thought I understood what to do and forged ahead.  Unfortunately, I forged too soon.  If you look closely, you can see a pinked edge peeking out from under the neck binding.  I was too cautious in my trimming of the seam allowance, and was unable to catch it all underneath the binding. Sigh.


Out comes the seam ripper.


And rips a hole in the fabric. Louder, more exasperated sigh.

What have I learned on this sewing adventure I've undertaken?  So far, I've learned:

- It is most definitely a good idea to sew a practice muslin before attempting to sew a new pattern on your "real" fabric.  (Yay! I got this one right!!)

- Whenever you are learning something new, expect to run into problems and make mistakes along the way.  It's part of the learning process.

- As so many of my lovely friends have advised me here, take your time. Be patient with yourself and with what you're doing.  Don't get in a hurry to finish (so you can post braggy pictures on your blog of your wonderful progress - not that I would ever do such a thing) .

- When you do make a bugger of a mistake, take a deep breath, grit your teeth, and make up your mind to keep trying until you get it right. In other words, don't give up!

- And by all means, be careful with that seam ripper.


Thank you so much to everyone who has given me so much encouragement and wonderful advice.  You guys are the best!  And a special thank you to my sweet friend Valerie who is not only an accomplished artist, but also an accomplished seamstress!  She is doing her best to shepherd me along as I go.  And I will keep going!  Hopefully next time I will have some prettier pictures to show you ;))

Happy Sunday everyone!

12 comments:

Valerianna said...

Good luck with this endeavor, I can't sew at all :)

Jules Woolford said...

There's no end to Valerie's talents:) I am so glad, dress making is my bete noir!Necklines are always a pain - but I can see how well you've done on the rest of the construction.x



Valerie Gardiner said...

Only just sent you an email about unpicking and I see you already have a stitch ripper, should have warned you it's a lethal tool! To be used with utmost caution, I've lost count of the holes I've made with mine! You're doing very well for a beginner Starr, don't lose hope, you WILL make a beautiful blouse.xx

Mary Ann said...

I think you're doing great. Keep plugging along and don't give up:)

margaret said...

for your first attempt you have done great Starr, just one hitch which you now know how to do correctly. I am a bit of a bull in a china shop when I do anything, rush in without reading all the instructions but have learnt with quilting that it does not pay to rush so now tell myself to read, mark learn and inwardly digest as we were told at school many many years ago!

Suztats said...

I applaud your persistence. It will come, there's just a few bumps along the way. I, too, like to rush things sometimes, and then I pay later taking more time to fix the rush..... like my 6th block on the flimsy...lol.....ah,......I think I should know better by my age, but apparently I'm either a slow learner or I'm too stubborn......lol

Penny said...

Oh those seam rippers - they can be deadly!! You're doing great. The muslin form was supposed to be a trial and error. I'm somewhat of a 'jump in and go' person - which often leads to frustration, failure and finally laughter at my outrageous stupidity! *smile*

Wynette Vass said...

Your first attempt was still a gallant effort and it paid off to do a test run with the muslin. I agree with Jules...the rest of the construction looks great. :)))

Jeri Landers said...

Yes, practice and patience are certain to pay off. Oh where would we be without our seam rippers?! Learned that long ago in Home Ec. class. But making your own clothes is so satisfying isn't it, once you get the skills down. I love your little moss gardens beneath, I know you and I just have a thing for moss! Last year, I filled an old fallen tree (which was rotting away but still lying in our yard), with moss, soil and daffodils. I see they are now beginning to rise and shine once again as they poke out of the old moss.

Kim said...

Oh the frustration! I have had several bad experiences with the seam ripper myself. Very smart to try this out on practice fabric! You are doing a great job :)

Raewyn said...

I wish I'd thought to do a practise run on cheaper fabric at times in the past! I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

JennyPennyPoppy said...

How frustrating but don't give up! Looking forward to seeing your wonderful completed tunic :)