Flickr

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Mushroom Love


A 'shroom for Valentine's Day - inspired by this post from the wonderful artist, Valerie Gardiner over at   Colours in the Briezh.  I fell in love with her drawing entitled "Tiny Red Mushroom from Leith Hill" and knew that I had to recreate it in cloth and stitch.  The mushrooms are a little bit of stump work as they are padded with red felt underneath and covered in long and short stitch in red stranded cotton floss to give them a satiny finish.  I was trying to capture the luster and sheen depicted in Valerie's lovely drawing.  It was so much fun to stitch - I just love it! I had originally thought to make it into one of my heart shaped stuffed ornaments, but now I'm thinking of using it as a patch to stitch onto a little bag or perhaps even a denim jacket - who knows?!!

Thank you, Valerie for the inspiration and for your permission to create a piece inspired by your work. I hope you like it!

Have a happy Valentine's Day everyone! Hug someone you love and tell them how much they mean to you. Big hugs to all of you! Mwah!



12 comments:

Valerie Gardiner said...

Happy Valentine to you too, I love what you have done with my tiny mushroom. XXX

Winnie said...

Love, love, love it!! Your interpretation captured Valerie Gardiner's lovely artistic work perfectly. It will be a great patch work addition to a denim jacket. Thanks for sharing!

Happy Valentine to you as well!!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Its Wonderful! So stunning on the black background framed by red. Just gorgeous! PS: Don't show it to your son ~lol~
xx, Carol

Jules Woolford said...

Well, you know I love it - and how wonderful that it was inspired by another talented lady and fungi fan! What a great combination!
I think it would look wonderful on a bag.
Happy Valentine's dear Starr!

Mary Ann said...

Love it:) Putting it on a bag sounds like a great idea.

margaret said...

this would look great on a denim jacket and means the world could see it too when you are out and about. Would look equally good on a bag and thinking about it maybe better as it will not be washed as often as on a jacket

Penny said...

I love the thought of putting it on a shirt - or skirt - or bag. I deserves to be worn!

Suztats said...

Happy Heart Day!
Cute little 'shrooms!

Kim said...

Hello. I came to your lovely blog from Adventures in Thread.
The mushroom looks wonderful, I love it on the black background too!

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

I love those mushrooms! Such talent girlfriend. :)

Margo Brooks said...

Love these! They are very true to your inspiration.

kathyinozarks said...

good morning, I am stopping by from Jules pages-your blog is just lovely
Kathy