Saturday, February 22, 2014

It's All Greek To Me


See this pretty paisley? Don't you just love it? Me too!  I went to Hancock Fabrics a few weeks ago, just looking, because goodness knows I don't need any more fabric, and this bright colorful pattern just jumped out at me.  It feels like Spring in a very folk-arty kind of way, yes?  So, I've been wanting to make myself a peasant top for ages, and I figured this was the moment.





 I hit the pattern books at the back of the store and found this Kwik Sew pattern - which means it should be easy, right? I'm thinking View C - with the contrast panels at the nape in solid black with some embroidered flowers that I will adapt from the pattern.  At this point, I'm SO excited.  Can't wait to get home and get started.  I'm planning it all in my head, imagining how cute it will look and how smug I will feel sporting my own handmade peasant top with my very own hand embroidery.  "Oh, how cute! Where did you get it?" I made it myself!!!  Yes, the whole fantasy was playing out in my head as I was happily driving home from town.  I got up the next morning rearing to go.


and then as I started reading the pattern instructions (which are supposed to be super easy, right?)  I remembered why I have only sewn two things in my lifetime. and my fluffy feathers fell flat.  I realized this is going to be much harder than it was in my fantasy which kinda skipped over the "making" part and went right to the "bragging" part.   Dang it.  This is going to be a long, painstaking process for me, and I have decided to make a muslin one before I cut into my beautiful paisley dream fabric.  I have a feeling I might be coming to you to ask some questions.  I read and re-read and scratch my head.  They really don't write these things for people who don't already know how to sew!!  It's like reading a foreign language.  But, says I, I shall persevere. Maybe I can look at the picture and figure it out.  Stay tuned.

"Pride cometh before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall." - Proverbs 16:18


15 comments:

wendy said...

This is sooo much like me! I have a fabric that I really wanted to make into a top, it's all cut out and even had started some sewing on it and then.... the directions no longer made sense to me and in fear of ruining the fabric I stopped... you've inspired me, time for me to get it out and give it another try.

LesleyAnn said...

This pattern brought back such wonderful memories! My mom made me these tops when I was in jr high and high school! I love them. Thank you for reminding me of a great memory.

I think you'll get it just right. Read one sentence at a time and follow that one sentence. Then move on to the next. Sometimes it's the anticipation of impossibility that makes it just that ... impossible. Using a cheap fabric is a good idea. I look forward to seeing the finished top!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Don't let the paper intimidate you!! Take LesleyAnn's advice...one step at a time. I know you'll nail it and earn bragging rights. You'll see!

Penny said...

What a fun idea and great fabric. Sometimes when we open up a pattern, for anything, and read through it its very daunting. I usually end up with a big "HUH?" at the end of the reading. I think your idea of making a muslin test is a very good one -- any mistakes won't matter and and you'll feel confident when you make that first cut into the 'good' fabric. I also agree about taking it one step at a time.

Jules Woolford said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jules Woolford said...

Love that fabric! Ooh,'proper' sewing! You can do it, my friend, I have the utmost confidence in you. All the good advice here sounds spot on. I'd also check Google and You Tube for dressmaking tutes and videos. Good luck!x

margaret said...

take your time Starr and I am sure you will create a masterpiece. I used to make all my clothes but then got lazy! Look forward to seeing it finished, such a very pretty fabric and like the idea of the black contrast

Valerie Gardiner said...

That's so pretty and I love the idea of the contrasting inset with the embroidery. It might be a good idea to embroider before you construct the garment. Also a great idea to practice on muslin, who knows that might turn out so good you'll have 2 new tops! I had muslin version of the one you're making in the 1970s!

Valerie Gardiner said...

I just noticed the turn backs on the sleeves, they would be great in the contrast colour with an embroidered motif too! Wish I could be there to help you!

Margo Brooks said...

I LOVE that pattern! I started looking for one like that a few months ago because I saw some Indian tunics that someone was embroidering and wanted to try it. I'm going to have to look for it when I get home.

Love that paisley fabric too! It looks like it will be a nice pattern to start on if you haven't sewn I awhile. Not a lot of fit issues with a tunic! That's what I am no good at.

Raewyn said...

Good luck with your sewing Starr, I am sure you can pull this off!! One step at a time :-) I;m not surprised you were inspired by that fabric, it will make a gorgeous blouse. I love your previous post too!

Winnie said...

Love the fabric. It will make a great accent panel on the tunic.

Love the idea of practicing on some muslin first before diving into that gorgeous fabric. Google some youtube videos for basics on reading and constructing sewing patterns. There are so many step by step ones out there nowadays.

Good luck and I know you will do a fantastic job.

Kim said...

The fabric is so pretty and I think it will be especially nice in the pattern you have chosen. I agree with the other comments, one step at a time and you will be able to do this! I hope you post your progress :)

Meg said...

I have this pattern too. This won't surprise you.

FOLKWAYS NOTEBOOK said...

Give yourself some credit -- you believed that you could take on this project, you found the gorgeous fabric and you are a creative person. Just because you have this one pattern does not mean you can't do something else with another pattern or whatever you feel you want to do with the folksy fabric. I love the fabric! --- barbara