Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Digging in the Dirt


Ok. I admit it. Even I, the girl who loves winter, am dreaming of Spring.  Specifically, I'm dreaming of gardening.  This would explain the following photo.


Breakfast.  A few cups of coffee, and a stack of gardening magazines.  I'm a magazine addict anyway, and these gorgeous spring issues of every gardening magazine I could get my hands on were calling my name!!  Oh how I love to sit and read every word, absorb every beautiful image, plan lush perennial borders in my head....  I can hear the bees buzzing, the birds singing, the warm sun on my face…..aaaaaaah.  I highly recommend it.  I call it magazine therapy :-)

For Valentine's Day, my sweet hubby got me flowers.  Not the kind you put into a vase, but the kind you put into the ground.  A peony, some strawberry plants, and a miniature orchid for inside.  I love that man.


We have been having some very warm, spring-like days this week, and I was so desperate to plant something, that I made myself this little miniature moss garden.  Ain't it cute?  I had gone for a walk and spied some itsy teeny tiny ferns peeping out of a mossy bank, so I went home, got my hand trowel and a bucket and went back and got him.


I know better than to be fooled by these warm February days.  I've made the mistake of planting things too early before only to have them killed by a late frost.  So, this was just sort of a fix.  I got to dig a little, pot something up, and satisfy my creative urges by decorating it with some pretty stones gathered from the creek last summer and a couple of little acorns that just happened to be nearby when I was playing, um, planting.  Now I am thinking of another pot with daffodils springing up out of some of this moss.  Wouldn't that be pretty?  And maybe a terrarium for inside, and maybe……………...



12 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

O elusive Spring!! I wonder if it will ever come. Yesterday the temps reached 48 degrees. Today it is snowing again.

I have so many ideas for what I want to do outside...I'll be glad to say bye-bye to February. March is windy here and sometimes cold, but the anticipation for Spring grows REALLY strong in MARCH!!

BTW, your hubs is a gem!
xx, Carol

Jules Woolford said...

Oh, so sweet! What a great idea Starr. The moss I can do -in spades - most of our lawn is moss now! My hellebores are out and look lovely amidst the mud and the weeds which managed to persist from last autumn! My garden is like a squelchy bog, but the bulbs are looking hopeful and trying desperately to come into flower at last. It's coming.....soon...

Kim said...

I am looking so forward to spring as well! The teeny fern you planted is perfectly paired with the moss. My daffodils are all starting to emerge, so exciting :)

Winnie said...

What a great idea to make yourself a moss garden. I can't wait for our daffodils to start poking through the snow here. They just brighten the landscape beautifully. Not that I'm ready for our snow to leave us just yet, and speaking of snow, we are currently getting a nice dusting right now. :-)

Valerianna said...

Love your moss pot. I have one in my moss garden, under a table which presently has about 3 feet of snow on it!! So, somewhere under all that snow, there is moss! I used to have a magazine addiction... just decided I had GOT to limit myself. So, now I get only one - Country Gardens - love it.

Mary Ann said...

You and me both. Bring on spring!! I saw five robins on Monday. Up here when they arrive it means the start of spring but we still have tons of snow. Poor robins. They've got there timing all wrong.

Penny said...

Lovely! I am an advocate of 'magazine therapy' also. Love to page through, getting ideas, dreaming of being able to do everything on the glossy pages before me. We have a couple of pots like that and the moss has actually done well over the winter. The plantings however are waiting for a bit more warmth and sun to perk up.

Valerie Gardiner said...

What a pretty potfull. We have so much moss in our lawn Bob is obsessed with trying to get rid of it, I've never thought of using it in a pot like this. Mmm...more Starry inspiration I think!

margaret said...

I think we all have loads of moss Starr with all the rain, I know I now have more moss than grass. Love your little new garden. I now have crocus, snowdrops,one tiny iris and one anenome out so fingers crossed we do not get a bad cold spell.

Suztats said...

It looks very much like spring in your corner.....sigh.....I am green. I can't wait for spring to arrive! Love your therapy-- I adore mosses.

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Looooooooooooove your little moss garden! Like a secret fairy garden! It was 75 here today. So wonderful. I love warm.

wendy said...

I just found your blog and am enjoying reading! Love your little moss garden. I'm now your newest follower!