Flickr

Sunday, January 26, 2014

The Colors of My Winter



Hello everyone! Hope you are all keeping warm and enjoying these wonderful cold winter days.  We have had record cold here too, but I did manage to get out of the house for a walk a time or two this week.  It's just not all that much fun when arctic winds that make it feel like about 15 degrees Fahrenheit are tearing at you, making your eyes water and sting from the cold! But thankfully, we had a couple of days that warmed up enough for me to go out, and look what treasures I found!  Can you believe that gorgeous dusty pink mushroom? I have never ever seen a mushroom that color!  And no, I didn't take a bite out of it; someone else beat me to it. Although I must admit, I was tempted.  I was astonished to find a mushroom in the first place, after all the extreme cold we've had, and the color was an even nicer surprise.


I have been reading lots of wonderful blog posts from many of you about pieces you are working on that have a winter theme.  I noticed a common thread running through lots of these wintery projects and that is the idea of color - specifically the colors of winter, which for most of you are white, silver, and blue - icy colors.  Snowy colors.  So, as I went out for a walk the other day, I began to think about how my winter is so very different from yours.  I asked myself, what are the colors of my winter? I had never really thought about it before.
My winter landscape is a soft and subdued one.  Soft silvery gray tree bark and lichen covered stone. Silvery greens. Soft browns and pale golden grasses.  I captured a few of the colors in the photo above. A color palette of my winter.


8 comments:

Jeri Landers said...

That is pretty remarkable to find a mushroom at this time of year.Perhaps the poor little thing just froze before it had a chance to shrivel up! I like your winter colors, I think they are mine as well.

margaret said...

The weather this season seems to be extreme all over the world. here we are having a very mild winter, I have daisies out on the lawn and the odd flower still on some shrubs, the grass is even growing so like we we have colour,. Lots of moss everywhere as it has been damp but we have not had lots of rain like some parts of the UK.The blackbirds were singing their heads off the other morning so they are confused too. Wonderful to see mushrooms out, I should go and look in the local park and see what is happening there.

Jules Woolford said...

Ooh, what a beauty! Our palette here is rather muddy! The temperature hasn't been too cold - but the strong winds and rain have made it feel so. My colours are taupe, beige,chocolate and coffee - but with some lovely shots of bright fresh green where the new shoots are rising - and the sun is shining this morning!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Pretty Picture!! If I were to show you MY world today it would be WHITE!!! ALL WHITE!! For miles and HIGH WHITE!! YUCK! -13 with -40 windchill.

Now the good news is I don't have to go out in the white! YAY.

Stay Warm. Thanks for a great pic of your not white day!
xx, Carol

Winnie said...

Glad you were able to get out and explore with all the freezing weather you guys have been experiencing! Love your winter colors. Ours are white and mud right now. We have had some sunny days and all the beautiful snow is melting.

Penny said...

A lovely palette. I've started a piece that uses spring colors - soft, gentle pastels - several of them very similar to the shades that you are displaying. I love them.

Mary Ann said...

I think I prefer your winter palette to mine:) We are experiencing bitter cold weather...snowy but sunny. That's what makes it so cold strangely enough. If we had cloud cover it would be warmer.

FOLKWAYS NOTEBOOK said...

Enjoyed your winter walk and the earthy colors you photographed to put on this blog. Nature is so creative. -- barbara