Sunday, December 1, 2013

Welcome, December






Thanksgiving has come and gone and Christmas is beginning to tiptoe its way into our little woodland cottage.  No tree yet.  I will wait a bit longer for that.  But, a few small touches of holiday cheer here and there are nice.  Never is our little home more cozy and comfortable than at this time of year.

After all the flurry of cooking and preparation for having our family over for the Thanksgiving meal, things have once again settled into a quiet, comfortable rhythm here.   A small break before we get caught up in the Christmas whirlwind.  While everyone else I know went shopping on Friday, we stayed home, sat by the fire, ate leftovers, napped,  and I experimented with paint and stitch.  Can you recognize this bird?  It is suppose to be an English robin!  I need to work on my drawing skills, I think :)  You may remember that I have tried this technique before on this fish.  I really enjoyed making it, so I am exploring the technique again in hopes of maybe creating some woodland themed Christmas ornaments.  We'll see.

How about you?  Do you have any holiday projects in the works?

14 comments:

FOLKWAYS NOTEBOOK said...

Starr -- beautiful decorations for the holiday. By any chance did you get the large greenish Santa on your table in Michigan? You might like to read the blog on robins where he talks about English robins -- http://tailsofbirding.blogspot.com/
Tails of Birding is also on my sidebar. -- barbara

Valerianna said...

I recognized the bird right away... and, love the vintage Santas. I have a collection of Santa Shamans as I call them. Have a wonderful holiday season... may it be as peaceful and spirited as possible!

margaret said...

Starr you have really got our English robin right, beautifully done. Not thought about putting up my Christmas pictures yet, mind you they go up in the lounge and I never go in there anyway!

Suztats said...

Your Santas look so festive: I have a small collection, too. Your robin looks great, and woodland creatures are a great theme for decorations! Have fun stitching.

Winnie said...

Very lovely Christmas decorations. Your robin looks wonderful.

Mary Ann said...

Love the little robin:)

FOLKWAYS NOTEBOOK said...

Thought of you when I read a blog on my sidebar today -- its about women and embroidery. He mentions a book that points out how women have taken a backseat in embroidery design. Here is the link. http://thetextileblog.blogspot.com/

I know I mentioned a link a few days ago on your comment section. I won't be overloading your comments with links its just that some good links do come up and I like to direct them to folks that I think might like them. -- barbara

Penny said...

I love your English Robin -- he seems to go with the Christmas spirit doesn't he? I've just finished a Brenda Gervais design and he's set out with my small Christmas collection.

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Lovely decorations Starr. I haven't put up any yet but plan to this weekend as well as getting a tree. Your English robin looks wonderful and you definitely are talented at drawing. Very nicely stitched!! Yes, I'm working on a few hardanger ornaments and a scarf as Christmas gifts. Time is ticking!

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Love your darling and festive decorations. Oh my friend...I don't think you need any practice on drawing and painting. You are so fabulous!! I loooooooooove your bird! You are so very talented. I picture this bird stitched into a wonderful ornament.
xx

Jeri Landers said...

Little stitched birds are a joy to behold, especially yours. There is nothing wrong with the execution of the drawing, nothing at all. I have to admire the beautiful embroidery on your Thanksgiving piece on the post beneath. Have you ever done Stump-work Embroidery? You would be a master at it!

Jules Woolford said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jules Woolford said...

Just realised my comment never showed up here! The ID thingy
doesn't like me:) Love your robin, he's just fab - my favourite bird of all, beautifully portrayed.xxx

Janet said...

Hi Starr,
Your work is delightful! Love your embroideries.
Merry Christmas
Janet