Flickr

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

My Woodland Christmas Tree











Hello everyone! Finally got my tree up, and as you can see, it is heavily inspired by nature. Of course it is!  I found myself gleefully snapping away, wanting to show you every little ornament on the tree; but I managed to check myself and just go with these.  I am so proud to have some of my own handmade ornaments on the tree this year (all the mushroom ornaments!).  I think they look right at home with the little wired on birds, birds nests tucked into the branches, grapevine stars, and folk art churches.  Oh, I love my tree! am I allowed to say that?

I have a theory about Christmas trees.  I think they reflect a person's true personal style.  Or they certainly can anyway.  I have ornaments for 3 or 4 different themed trees - a candy themed tree for the boys (that was last year)  a winter wonderland theme all in white, blues and silver for my husband, a traditional tree with Santa and snowmen and candy canes, etc.  But this one is my favorite!  This is my tree.  I hope to create a few more handmade ornaments for it if I have time, but so far every spare moment has been spent shopping, baking, or decorating!

I wonder if you agree with my little theory.  Take a look at your tree.  What does it say about you?  I'd love to see yours!  Send me some pix, won't you?

Happy Christmas-ing everyone!

15 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Lovely tree:) Your mushroom ornaments are perfect.

Valerianna said...

Love the mushroom ornaments! I knew immediately they had been made by you, wonderful! Any thoughts about an Etsy shop to sell your ornamanets? I think they'd be popluar! No tree yet... mine is the Shamanic World Tree, so, yes, I agree with you about our trees!!

Jules Woolford said...

What a lovely tree, Starr. I always put the tree up - it wouldn't be Christmas without it. The mushroom ornies are just perfect:)x

margaret said...

so beautiful Starr and yes I can see your personality here. Love the birds nests.How big is the tree as you have so many lovely things on it.
Sorry I do not have a tree, living on my own there is not much point, do put lots of embroidered pictures up but this year not planning to do anything.

Valerie Gardiner said...

Wow! What a fabulous tree and I adore your decorations, especially the mushrooms! I imagine it's at least 6 feet high.

Meg said...

What a terrific tree. And your mushies look so lovely. I also like that little bunny on the flower pot. OK, what does my tree say about me? Currently my tree is up, but not decorated. It is being shunted around the living room because there is no place for it yet. Does this mean that I am a homeless nudist, a procrastinator or just very minimalist? I shall let you decide!

Penny said...

Its a beautiful tree and a lovely reflection of both you and your 'wonderland woods'. I sent you a picture via email of my tree -- VERY different from yours *smile*.

Suztats said...

Gorgeous woodland Christmas tree! Just what I would have expected from someone so in love with nature and natural things!
My tree is a mix of hand-made children's ornaments, our first ornaments as husband and wife, many made by myself and friends and lots of crystal for some bling. We even have the lights from our first Christmas as newlyweds......they're ReaLLY old! lol

Raewyn said...

Gorgeous!! And I can definitely see the 'woodland' influence! I'm hoping we will get our tree this weekend... then it will really start to feel like Christmas!

Margo Brooks said...

I LOVE your tree!

Jeri Landers said...

That is a charming and precious tree, I love the mushrooms especially and what would a nature tree be without birds nests! I agree with your theory that the tree reflects the owners personality. It also can reflect whether or not one was in a Christmas spirit or not! I will normally put up 2-4 trees, a rustic nature tree,usually cedar cut from our woods and decorated in a pioneer style is usually my favorite. The ornate tree with antique baubles and bangles is my more elegant self. Wishing you a new year full of nature of life!

FOLKWAYS NOTEBOOK said...

An artistic rendition of the trees I remember when I was young. Colorful and fun -- barbara

Jeri Landers said...

Starr, Just saw your comment. You must visit the Museum of Appalachia. If you go during the week, there will hardly be a soul there and you can wander the grounds and enter the 1800's in peaceful surroundings. You will need some peace after you visit Pigeon Forge, it is very BUSY! Be sure to go the the Arrowcraft shop in Gatlinburg, handmade high quality crafts by our local artisans, beautiful shop.

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Your tree was absolutely gorgeous. I looooooooooove that bunny on the clay pot. Sweet!

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Your woodland themed tree looks wonderful Starr especially the stitched mushrooms and birds. Haven't taken ours down yet, maybe next week. Ours doesn't have a real theme but a lot of ornaments that have sentimental value attached given by friends and relatives. Looking forward to seeing your posts in 2014 :)