Flickr

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Folk Art Harvest





Behind the scenes - the world's most loyal assistants!
Hi everyone! I finished up my latest project - a folk art inspired harvest design - which I then decided to make into a pillow.  This was such a fun project!  I was inspired to create this design by the wonderful ethnic/folk embroidery styles of Scandinavia, Hungary, and Poland that I've been studying on the internet.  Most of the images I saw were of brightly colored floral patterns, usually in primary colors.  They're beautiful! But, I wanted to try to create a harvest inspired pattern in a similar style, and this is what I came up with.  I've incorporated pumpkins, corn, sunflowers and grapes with vines, leaves and a couple of whimsical flowers.  I'm not so sure I achieved the folk-art look I was going for, but I'm happy with this first attempt.  Ultimately, I would like to be able to create some modern, folk-inspired clothing embellished with this style of embroidery like the ones I've seen on the fabulous Kate and Rose blog.

This will be my one and only Thanksgiving project this year as Christmas will be here in just a few weeks, and I haven't even started on any Christmas projects! Yikes!  I've got to get cracking on some Christmas stitchery asap!

Thanks for visiting! And thank you so much for all the sweet comments you have left on my recent posts.  You guys are great, and you make blogging FUN!!

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

18 comments:

Valerie Gardiner said...

This is beautiful and I'm sure there's somebody in your family who would be delighted to receive it for Christmas!

Winnie said...

Starr, your harvest folk art turned out just fabulous!! I love, love, love it!! The colors compliment each other perfectly and your stitches are excellent! Very inspiring!! Now I need to kick my booty into gear and start/finish so many of my own projects. Thanks for the visual inspiration once again!!

Mary Ann said...

Wow...beautiful. I love it too:)

Doniene said...

Oh my, oh my, Starr - this little project is stunning!! Beautiful work!!!

Where has the time gone?!!!! I too need to get cracking on Christmas projects - I'm off to do a little stitching!

Blessings

Valerianna said...

I saw the folk influence immediately. If you make some clothing like this, it will go very well with your new red shoes!

FOLKWAYS NOTEBOOK said...

Your folk designed pillow is fabulous. Like your assistants. Funny I just bought a book titled "The Isthmus Zapotecs, Women's Roles in Cultural Context." Copyright 1973. There are some old photos in the book of the fantastic embroidery work they do on their dresses. The Zapotecs are located in the state of Oaxaca, Mexico.Interesting work that you are pursuing. -- barbara

margaret said...

lovely stitching Starr this makes a beautiful cushion

Faye Cook said...

Its beautiful

Jules Woolford said...

Just,
Simply,
Fabulous!x

Penny said...

I love it! The colors you chose are perfect. I just finished my second Halloween piece yesterday and then got out a Christmas design I want to work with. If I start now perhaps it will actually be finished by the first week of December *smile*.

Raewyn said...

SO nice to see the picture from a previous post transitioned into this beauty. It is gorgeous, IO love the look you have achieved.

Meg said...

Wow, this is beautiful. I love where your inspiration has taken you. And your thread shading is lovely. I really like your choice of colours and stitches.

Suztats said...

Your harvest art pillow is beautiful!

Kati Lovasz said...

This is absolutely gorgeous!

- kata from kate-and-rose.com

Deb said...

so beautiful! love the colours in your folk art harvest cushion & of course your loyal assistants :-)

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Oh my gosh do I love that!

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Your stitching is so lovely Starr and the harvest pillow turned out beautifully!

Margo Brooks said...

I absolutely adore this!