Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Spooky Stitches


A little stitch witchery for Halloween! My mother gave me this frame a few weeks ago, and I just loved the color and the design.  I knew I wanted to make something for Halloween to go in it, but it would have to be something simple so as not to compete with the frame, but what?  Hmmmm.   Then I saw some cute little embroidered owls over at  JennyPennyPoppy, and I thought "Owl!"  So off I went trolling the web for an owl, and I found a simple line drawing of this spooky owl on a tree branch.


He is stitched mostly in chain stitches with a few fly stitched feathers.  Not sure if you can really tell, but I gave him some gold glass beads for eyes.  In the right light, they really glint and gleam and send a little shiver down your spine!  This photo was taken with it out of the frame, because I wanted you to see the crested chain stitch border which is unfortunately obscured by the frame (because some dummy can't measure right!!!)  I found a terrific video tutorial over at Mary Corbett's  Needle'n Thread, so I thought I would give it a try.  I love it!  It is a fun little stitch to work, and I think it makes a great border. (too bad you can't see it in the frame!!!! but never mind)

Meanwhile............


Count them.......7!!!!



Some eight-legged stitchers have been making some spooky stitches of their own!

11 comments:

Valerianna said...

Wonderful, Starr! Love the owl, and the great webs. I have some links to collect and share with you, I'll email you sometime soon.

margaret said...

your owl is lovely and yes the eyes sparkle. Jenny has some beauties that she has stitched, love to see what she is doing. What large spiders webs, we get them this time of year too but never seen them so big is it a monster spider you have out there I wonder

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Starr, your simple stitched owl is PERFECT for the frame..absolutely.
Dontcha just love Halloween!!

Spider webs are amazing. You can look at them forever, unless they are in the corner of your living room or clinging to your eaves ~lol~.

Happy Haunting
xx, Carol

Margo Brooks said...

This is awesome. So simple, but perfect--and I love the eyes!

Penny said...

Oh I love him!! The frame is perfect. I'm a sucker for 'good' frames -- am always bringing them home to sit here until my hands can get busy. The spider webs are perfect for this time of the year. Owls and spider webs, all you need is a pumpkin to finish the scene. *smile*

Suztats said...

Love those web stitchings! And your owl is so cute!

Mary Ann said...

I love owls and often visit Jenny to see what she is stitching. Love your owl and it's perfect for that frame:) Wow that must be one big spider.

Renata's arts and crafts said...

The owl is absolutely beautiful and very cute in same time and your pictures are amazing how you manage to capture the spider webs

Deborah OHare said...

Delightful stitching :)

Willow said...

Wonderful captures of the webs !

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Your owl turned out super and thank you very much for thinking of me and the link to my blog!!