Flickr

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Flea Market Treasure - Poems to Read to the Very Young


Last week I shared with you my fun trip to the local farmers market and the wonderful things I found there.  This lovely vintage children's book was one of my treasured finds, and I wanted to share it with you because it makes me so happy and I think you will be delighted too.  It is copyrighted 1961 and was illustrated by Dagmar Wilson.  I love the charming illustrations, and will be on the lookout for books illustrated by her.


I have a special fondness for children's poetry and children's book illustrations - particularly from the 1960's and 1970's.  This book combines them both!  As you can see, this copy is very worn, and I hope that means that it has been well loved.  One thing I noticed about this book in particular is that there are lots of illustrations of little boys, and being the mother of two little boys - well, you know.




I love this one with the owl and the little naughty elf tapping at the door and then hiding amongst the flowers.  Walter de la Mare is one of my favorites.


LOVE this one!!  I remember that feeling so vividly as a child.  I was that little girl once upon a time.....


And this is perhaps my favorite of all.  So much going on in this one, and I really like how the illustration wraps around and provides the frame for the poem.  And of course, it reminds me of my meadow and all the lovely creatures who live in and around it.





And these are just a few of the many charming illustrations and poems in this wonderful book.  I am so happy to have found it, and I hope you enjoyed sharing it with me.

Next time I will share with you Grandma Moses - An American Original, another treasure I found at the farmers market.

Have a great weekend everyone!!

4 comments:

Valerianna said...

How delightful!! I think I must have a had a book illustrated by Dagmar, I remember it vividly, but can't completely remember the title. Something about So and So's first day of school.

margaret said...

what a wonderful book, I will now have to pop over to amazon and see if I can find one, Walter De La Mere and Christine Rossetti are great favourites of mine and see they are both in the book

Penny said...

What a lovely book! As the mother of one son and grandmother to four grandsons - boys are very special to me.

Winnie said...

Very nice post. I am sure the book has been well loved as it will be in your home as well. :)