Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Travel/Comfort Pillow Case

As I get older, I find that I need more and more pillows to get comfortable at night!  I am what you call a "side sleeper", and I am much more comfortable if I have a small pillow to lay my arm across as I sleep.  If I don't use one,  I tend to lean on my wrist while sleeping and wake up with it hurting or my hand has gone to sleep or some other such discomfort.

Until recently, I have been using small throw pillows; but I found these travel pillows at Wal-Mart that I thought would be just the ticket!


Now, to my knowledge, they do not make a travel pillow size pillow case, so I seized the opportunity to embark on an easy, but oh-so-satisfying little project.


I found this sweet little fabric with folk-art style flowers on it at Hancock Fabrics.  It's a very thin, lightweight cotton that I thought would get nice and soft after washing.  It did!


I found a coordinating fabric in powder blue for the hem of the pillowcase that would allow me to add a little embroidery to it.  I drew out a little design copied from the motif on the fabric and got busy with the needle and thread.


I decided to go simple here and not give myself headaches trying to get a nice smooth satin stitch because I knew it will be washed a million times anyway.  So, I used buttonhole stitch for the flower with a few lazy daisies and french knots for the center.  Then I finished it off with a simple chain stitch stem and leaves.


And voila! A sweet little pillowcase for my comfort pillow. This was so much fun, I just might have to make another one to slip on when this one is ready for the wash.  I had a little fabric left over, so I think I might also make a little lavender sachet for the linen closet.



The weather is beginning to feel ever so slightly like fall around here.  There is a distinct coolness rising up from the ground late in the evening just before nightfall.  I know this because I love to walk barefoot on my trail so I can really feel the earth beneath my feet.  I've always preferred to go barefoot anyway.

How are things in your neck of the woods?

9 comments:

Valerianna said...

Neato - I, too, use a throw pillow between my legs at night, but I KNOW I won't stitch a pillowcase, I'm horrible at sewing!

Never got above 65 here today! Tonight its going to dip to 48 or so... so, feeling a LOT like fall up here! I'm wearing wool socks, a scarf and sweater and the house is closed up tightly.

Margo Brooks said...

Great idea and the embroidery is beautiful! What thread did you use? It almost looks like wool.

Starr White said...

Thank you, Margo! I just used plain old DMC floss - the lighting was very poor for the photo, because we have had rain for days on end here. I believe that is why the sheen of the floss doesn't show up.

margaret said...

a lovely pillow case and yes you will need a wash and change, your flower embroidery is beautiful.Autumn I can feel in the air in the early morning but we are forecast to have another hot spell next week so will make the most of it and try and do some stitching in the garden,. Have Alfie my younger daughter`s cat coming tonight for 2 weeks whilst Helen is in Portugal so will not venture far. Lots of sneezing in the next 2 weeks!.

Jules Woolford said...

Yay - you're a natural stitcher, my talented friend! Love this Starr, such a nice idea and very pretty design too.x

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Your stitching is beautiful. My Walmart DOES stock travel size pillow cases in Forest Green and Navy Blue...BORING!! My husband uses a travel pillow under his neck when he sleeps on his back. I bought the boring...but maybe I'll take a cue from you. In my older age, I have decided to surround us with what we love and not so much the useful and practical that I sometimes lean to .

Again you have given me inspiration!! Have THE most wonderful day, please.
xx, Carol

Winnie said...

Love the fabric you chose! Your embroidery just makes the pillow case extra special. I love how you pulled the motif from the printed fabric for your embroidery! Very, very lovely :-)

Jeri Landers said...

That is just lovely! I used to like a feather pillow that was practically flat, but now I need a lot more neck support and use a completely different type of pillow. I adore beautiful pillow cases, you are so clever!

Anni - Fabric and Mixed Media Art said...

What a beautiful embroidery you have made on your pillow, love the fabric and that you made the flower so it fits to it.
Anni