Sunday, July 14, 2013

Playing with Seashells


Sand and sea.  Earth and sky.  That was the inspiration for this simple little piece.  I thought the colors of the scallop shell were so beautiful, so I decided a simple background was best.  The border is a piece of jute twine knotted at intervals along its length.  I think it will look very beachy in a distressed wood frame.


Here I placed a handful of shells around a sandalwood candle in a little ironstone saucer.  It's sitting on the edge of the bathtub, so I can dream of the sea while I'm soaking.  I used mostly the broken shells and bits of sand dollars here.  I just love their soft colors and textures, and I couldn't bring myself to throw away the broken ones.  This is a nice way to use them.


I have an idea for a sort of mixed media piece for which I've machine-stitched together a watery background of various fabrics.  That shape is hopefully going to look like a Japanese koi when I'm done with it.  It will be applique'd to the background and embellished with stitching and shells.  That will be the fun part!

6 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Very pretty...soothing:)

margaret said...

your shell will look lovely with the drift wood frame, love bits of wood myself.

Your blue piece looks good, like the way you have different sized blocks on it, hope to see what it looks like when finished

Jo May said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jo May said...

Shells are amazing things and I love your ideas for using them in a creative way. A nice Summery idea with the scented candle.
Looking forward to seeing the finished patchwork. Great colours!
Have a lovely week in the sun.
Jo.

Jules Woolford said...

Perfect use of the shells Starr - and I'm intrigued to see how the patchwork progresses. Love the colours. I also loved your golden moth too - (just catching up with my favourite blogging friends after a few days holiday!)

ArtPropelled said...

The Sand/Seashell piece is beautiful and the weathered wood frame will make it sing.