Flickr

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Stacking Stones





Thanks to the suggestion of my lovely and talented blogging friend Jules, I tried my hand at some "land art" this week.  I had expressed to Jules my conflicting feelings about placing manmade objects along my trail through the woods, and she was very kind and encouraging and pointed me to some great links on the subject. (Just Google "land art" on Google Images to see what I mean)

I had seen similar things before, but had never really considered doing it myself because I was stuck into thinking that land art had to be huge and complex and had to "make a statement" in the landscape.  But then I saw pictures of simple arrangements of stones or even sticks and leaves, and my mind was opened to new possibilities!  So, whilst down at the swimming hole with the boys, I decided to try my hand at making some simple stone sculptures.  As you can see, it became quite addictive!

And, believe it or not, I learned a few things from this little exercise.  As in life, if you want to go higher, you have to start out thinking BIG.  If you think small, you can't go very high.  Also, each stone must be laid carefully so that it both sits firmly and steadily on the one below but also provides a sturdy foundation for the next stone to be laid.  I think there are some valuable life lessons in there somewhere.  

Thank you Jules :)

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

3 comments:

Jules Woolford said...

Oh Starr, the colours and textures of those rocks are just wonderful! And I especially love the piece where you have positioned them in that gorgeous flow, which reminds me of the movement and effects of earth and water, both working against and with the other element. I knew you'd create something beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing the photos: I'm thrilled about how you've taken this concept forward.I look forward to seeing lots more of your land art creations in Wonderland Woods.x

margaret said...

your rocks have worked well, i am amazed that they do not topple over as they are just resting on each other

Penny Berens said...

Ooh, gorgeous, Starr. Love your land art and have had such fun googling others. I am trying to remember the name of an artist who builds installations on the shores and is quite happy for the tides to wear them down. If I remember I'll get back to you!