Saturday, June 29, 2013

Sorting It Out


Sorting through some seashells I gathered on a recent trip to the beach.  I gathered these the lazy way - just scooped them up in a net bag, took them down to the water and washed away most of the sand.  I like bringing them home and dumping them out and sorting through them to see what I've got.






Being a lover of texture, these are my favorite bits - pieces of broken sand dollars that have been eroded by the surf into interesting and highly textured little pebbles.


After a very satisfying morning of sorting, sifting and bagging, I have 9 bags of assorted seashells and sand dollar pebbles to make something with.  Now the question is, what to make?  I'm fighting a bad case of the creative doldrums right now, so they may just sit in a drawer for a while until I can figure out what to do with them.  I have so much creative energy and nowhere to channel it right now, and this little exercise helped me with that for a while.  Now I guess I will go and polish the silver or something..........

7 comments:

margaret said...

what a great collection, have not heard of sand dollars before. As to what to do with them I am afraid I could not hazard a guess but I am sure your creativity will kick in soon Starr and we will see what you have accomplished. It is some years since I have been to the sea side when I think back it must have been 2005 when I took 2 friends one an Australian to Blackpool to see the lights. They decorate the sea front a good few miles long with amazing lights every autumn.

Meg said...

Ooooh beach treasure! How wonderful. Maybe you could paint a watercolour sketch of the beach you went to - or a beach scene - and collage on some of the shells as a reminder of your trip. Or maybe, like in the Sense and Sensibility TV series, you could make shell dangles to hang on your porch a bit like Margaret does. Just a thought - I know you love anything Austen!

Jules Woolford said...

Oh, lovely shells! Years ago, when I used to press plant material I made a collage with shells, pieces of sea glass and different dried sea weeds. What about a creating some more outdoor art - maybe a mosaic for your porch or yard?x

Suztats said...

oh, what lovely treasures! Good ideas there, too. How about a dimensional embroidery like the 'pebble adventure' on stitchin'fingers placed into a shadow box and surrounded by your shells? Beach art!

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

It's always amazing to me what a wonderful artist Mother Nature is. :)

ArtPropelled said...

I also love the broken shells with edges smoothed by the movement of sea and sand. Sorry about the doldrums. I'm never comfortable with this phase and yet it's valuable time for replenishing the well. The good thing is you are full of creative energy. A sure sign that new ideas are brewing. You'll see :-)

You might find the 5 Stages of creative expansion interesting. They often work for me.

http://www.papayablog.com/2009/11/the-creative-process-working-with-the-5-stages-to-overcome-creative-resistance.html

Jeri Landers said...

Oh they are so beautiful! Having grown up an in-lander, I was always fascinated with seashells, they were out of reach for me. I get excited if i just find a snail shell on the creek bank! I love the way you have arranged them so tidily. One day, you will have an epiphany and know exactly what to do with those shells!( And I have no doubt it will be wonderful)