Flickr

Monday, May 27, 2013

Learning To Fly


A little mockingbird fledgling who has fallen from his nest.  Doesn't he look frightened?  I know how he feels.  Freedom can be scary.

I am now officially unemployed.  I've known this day was coming for three years, and I've had lots of time to think about it; but that really hasn't made it any easier.  Much like this tiny bird, I feel the fear and uncertainty that comes with losing one's security.  But, I keep thinking that he wouldn't be so afraid if he knew what was in store for him.  He's about to start flying! Any day now he will be soaring high above the tiny nest he was clinging to and singing a joyous song of freedom.

I am trying to remember this as an uncertain future looms out ahead of me.  Yes, freedom can be scary. But it can also be exciting!  Who knows what the future holds?  Tomorrow is full of opportunity.

Yes, a chapter in my life has come to a close, but a new one has just begun!  I sure hope it's a good one.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you a hope and a future."  
                                                            Jeremiah 29:11


6 comments:

Valerianna said...

Such a sweet bird, love that you caught his/her open beak - makes the photo! Being thrown out of the nest is definitely scary, good luck finding your wings!

Mary Ann said...

The way I look at it is that stuff happens for a reason. On to better and bigger things:)

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I have never seen a mocking bird. He's a cool little fledgling.

Good analogy.

I have been in your spot a few times in the past 40 years +. I have always found that if you stay true to yourself and keep a positive attitude good or better things will come. Keep your mind and eyes open for opportunities!
xx, Carol

margaret said...

Starr sorry you are out of work, I pray something will turn up that you will enjoy and find rewarding, hang onto your quote from Jeremiah. You now have some time to enjoy the wonderful woods and wildlife that surrounds you, such a cute little mocking bird, as you say he will be away soaring in the skies in the next few days.

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Three years ago I lost my job. My full time, well paying, company car, big bonus, job in construction. The housing crash happened. I hung around for two years after that working about 3 hours a week waiting for it to come back. It didn't. Last year on May 31st, I took a "hop" of faith and followed my heart and my bliss. I believed in myself. I became a full time artist and my own boss. One year later,(yesterday as a matter of fact) I am the happiest I have ever been in my entire life. If one door closes, keep on going till you find the window. ;)
Hugs!

Jeri Landers said...

Listen to Michelle, she has had great success following her talent and determination and a dream. You too are a creative and talented lady, who knows what grand things lie ahead. Sometimes, we are forced to change course in life and it turns out to be the best blessing ever! .