Flickr

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Springtime in Wonderland


Heavy spring rains have swollen the creeks and turned them a bit muddy at the moment, but the native azaleas (not really native, more like naturalized) don't seem to mind a bit.  Their ethereal pink clouds illuminate the edges of forest and stream this time of year.


And their lovely sisters, the dogwoods are beginning to open their bright eyes to the springtime sun.    It's beginning to look like a springtime fairy ball around here.  I imagine them frolicking about like newborn fawns this time of year.


The picnic area overlooking the falls.


Though it is beautiful just as it is, it has been my dream since we moved here to have a Japanese inspired garden in this area.  I wouldn't want to make any dramatic changes - just add some plantings of irises and azaleas and maybe a weeping cherry by the waterfall.  I read an article in a local gardening magazine a few weeks ago that said our climate here is similar to that of Tokyo and that is why so many plants that are originally from Japan grow well in our region. I suppose that is why we have so many Japanese style public gardens in this area.  We recently visited one, and I have photos to share, but that will have to wait until next time :)

Happy weekend, friends!

12 comments:

Valerianna said...

Beautiful, Starr! It's surely a perfect spot for a touch of Japanese. I have the same thing here in my moss garden. In early spring when the mosses are gleaming, I want to keep it all weeded and Japanese, but as the summer unfolds, star flowers and other native plants bloom and then it gets a bit wild and ragged and rather New Englandy, so, I let it go and grow as it will. I've decided to let it be a Japanese style garden in spring and fall and a forest garden after that. I would like to put in just a few azaleas and such. Such a lovely sitting area near the falls... a good place to sit with the trees, I imagine.

Suztats said...

What an idyllic spot for a picnic! Your wonderland looks most enticing, and I think some Japanese plants would be gorgeous there. After yesterday's ice pellet storm, spring pics look so good......

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Hi Starr!
I always love to see a post from you in my dashboard.

What an absolutely beautiful place to spend a few moments. A Japanese Maple would go great in this setting. I was gifted one by an acquaintance that has them seeding wildly on her acres of land. You would love it.

What a heavenly spot.
xx, Carol

margaret said...

how lovely to see the fresh green of spring appearing Starr and the beauty of you woods. You are further on than us, have daffs and crocus out but still very little greenery, trees not showing signs of bursting forth at all, maybe this week things will start to happen.

Mary Ann said...

What a beautiful place and I can well imagine a bit of a Japanese touch here and there. Such a lovely spot for a picnic:)

Jeri Landers said...

Oh, do the Japanese garden! It will be perfect near the falls. Yours is a lovely spot of Heaven and a perfect place or lunch.

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

It truly is a Wonderland Woods. I could sit there all day and create. Just looking at your photos I get lost in stories.
xx

Michelle Palmer said...

Beautiful~ the perfect little Wonderland!
Thank you for leaving me a sweet note~ led me to your wonderful blog & beautiful heart!
Wishing you joy!

Jo May said...

Such beauty at this time of year with the blossom in bloom. I see what you mean about the water being a bit high. We have had alot of floods in the UK as well.
I love the Dogwood flowers in your photos and my blog friend in Japan has the trees in bloom as well. Stunning pinks!
Thanks for sharing Starr and it is lovely to catch up with you again!

Jules said...

Absolutely lovely Starr, there is nothing like cherry blossom. We have lots of cherry trees where we live, lining the roads and it looks so pretty - but nothing like your wonderful wonderland woods!

Marti said...

Here from SF. Your pictures are lovely. Living in Maine, I miss the dogwoods. Your work is so lovely.

Joanna DeVoe said...

Truly magickal!