Saturday, April 27, 2013

Shelter


Remember this piece I started a while back?  Well, it became a background for a little artwork I am going to call Shelter.


It is inspired by so many things that are a part of me right now.  My new love of this raw, organic, shabby style of piecing and stitching.  My love of textures - I'm discovering that is what drives me in my work.  The desire to re-create textures. Their visual and tactile qualities.


And, of course, my on-going fascination with toadstools and mushrooms.  Why?  Is it because they are small and unassuming and often go unnoticed?  Or is it just because they're so darn cute?  What is it that draws me to them over and over again?  Why do we choose the subjects we choose?


I worried a little about my obsession with them until I discovered that Beatrix Potter was also captivated by them and spent years gathering them and sketching them and even wrote a scientific paper on them! Apparently, she was quite the armchair mycologist.  That made me feel better about it and gave me the encouragement I needed to continue playing with them until I am ready to move on.  After all, how many times did Monet paint those haystacks?  People thought he was a little crazy there for a while, too :)


And I chose the name, Shelter, because to me it looks like a little baby mushroom sheltering himself underneath his mama's cap.  Perhaps I should have put him a little closer to her.  This is also the first time I have used natural materials in a piece - something I've been wanting to do since the beginning.  I'm hoping to add some more natural elements when I finish it and frame it.

I am really happy with this one, and it will be going up on the wall.  Ya'll just don't know what a big deal that is for me.  Huge.

I hope you like it, too :)

9 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I LOVE it. I think you are becoming quite adept in creating texture. I especially love the frayed brown fabric at the base of the mushrooms.
Funny, I always notice them. I never let Terry mash them in the yard.

This is a really good piece and I'm glad you are showing in your decor.

One of my blog friends advised me that I should surround myself with art I love. I'm glad you are and that it is your own creation. What can be more inspiring than that!
xx, Carol

Renata's arts and crafts said...

This is totally beautiful and inspiring. Love all about this art decor and in special the fact is done with heavy fabrics and looks so delicate

Valerianna said...

I can see your enchantment with textures... and the mushrooms, too! Glad you like it enough to hang it. Iike the ferny spirals in the back - waiting for ferns here!

Mary Ann said...

I love this piece...I love the textures and colour and those lovely wee mushrooms:) I think you are well along your path to finding your own style.

margaret said...

I wondered what had become of the piece of fabric and now we know, a beautiful creation Starr so looking forward to seeing it finished.The texture is so organic

Jules said...

I adore this piece! I am a total fungijunkie Starr, love them and find them totally fascinating. Great interpretation and very tactile with those different textures. Super work!

Deb said...

love the colours in this beautiful art piece - i especially love how you have let the fabric fray & the mushrooms are the perfect addition ♥

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

AWESOME!!!!!!

The Handmaden said...

Love the mushrooms, just beautiful - and so nice to know that Beatrix loved them too, though I'm not surprised :)
Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving a lovely comment :)