Flickr

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Searching

In a way, I feel that I am always searching for something, and I wonder how many other people feel that way too.  There have been many times when I have felt like I have found something wonderful!  But then, eventually, the search continues.





This searching is what drives me forward in my art.  My deep and passionate love and appreciation of Nature is what drives me to find a way to express my feelings about it.  I see it as a gift to me, to us, from the Creator.  This beautiful world is a gift, and I want to give something back.  An offering perhaps.  I need to express this.  And so, I search.  I search for the way to say thank you in my own voice.




Yes, I know.  There is nothing new under the sun.  I learn from here and there, from this one and that one.  I used to feel sorry for myself because I cannot go to school to learn all the methods of making art.  But, in the end, I think it might be best that I find my own way.  Since what I am seeking is my own unique voice, perhaps it is best that I search for it on my own.  That is why what you see here varies so wildly from one project to another.  I am trying different things out.  Searching for what fits and what feels right.  I have a shadowy vision of where I want to go, but it hasn't materialized completely yet.  I can feel that I am getting closer though.  Closer to a vision that looks like me.


7 comments:

Winnie said...

Starr,
Great interpretation of the forest floor in Winter (if that was what you were going for). I love the rough texture you chose. Keep up the search. It will come soon enough and in the process you will create such wonderful art.

Valerianna said...

I'm a huge fan of wide exploration... and lots and lots of work. Love the browns :)

Jules said...

That's what makes our journeys so wonderful!

Your interpretation invokes a wonderful feel of the forest and you know I love your photos!
I want to stroke those fern fronds - and the bark reminds me of the head of an eagle....?

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Your work blends so well with the forest that I hardly knew where one started and where the next began.

Your work is wonderfully diverse. Your subjects and media are interesting and creative. I don't think you are searching for one thing, but testing your favorites and will learn how to meld them into your own brand.

Good Hunting! I think you are having fun.
xx, Carol

margaret said...

another wonderful walk through your woods, you certainly have found new life sprouting. Love the way you have put it all together in stitch and fabric, no you do not need classes Starr you inspire yourself and others.

Mary Ann said...

I don't know. I think trying out different ideas and mediums is how you evolve as an artist in whatever creative field you choose to follow. I'm still looking for my comfortable place:)

Meg said...

I love your translation of nature into art, Starr. Your forest floor fibre art complete with reverse applique is terrific. I already see so much of your own style in your work - like you, I find that while I like to look and learn from others' work and art, it is when I take the time to create alone that my own unique voice comes out.