Saturday, February 16, 2013

Something Fishy



A couple of years ago I painted this sunfish in acrylic on canvas inspired by the dot paintings of the Australian Aborigines.  I love that style of artwork and wanted to create something similar.  It was lots of fun!

Here lately, I've been toying around with the idea of combining my painting and my stitching into some mixed media pieces.  So, I decided experiment with the idea using one of my favorite subjects - fish!


I began by sketching the outline of the main parts of the fish onto a piece of muslin.  Then I used acrylic paint and water to add washes of color.  As you can see, the water carried the paint beyond the borders of the fish, but that's ok in this case, because the plan is to cut him out and attach him to a pieced background, eventually.  When the paint dried, the colors were much lighter than I was hoping for, so I went back in and deepened the color in some areas with watercolor pencils.


Then, I just went to town filling him in with all different types of stitches.  I didn't really plan before hand, just sort of used whatever I felt like at the time while trying to keep it looking fishy.  That honeycomb buttonhole stitch was a first time for me (you can probably tell that, huh?)  But it was fun!  Next up is designing a background for him to "swim" around in.

I have to say that I have enjoyed every part of this project.  The painting was fun.  The stitching was fun.  I learned so much in the process.  I am learning as I go along this journey that the best teacher of all is just the doing.  As one of my favorite teachers used to say, "We learn by doing!"  She was so right!

9 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Your fish is great. I really like the variety of stitches you used. This is really a lovely piece. I like the way the paint blends beyond the fish. If you choose to use this as some type of "block" it would work.
Carol

Valerianna said...

This is such a great combination of mediums, I love it. Doesn't bother me, either that the color bled past the fish, even if you left it. Wonderful!!

Ha, funny, my robot word is MYYarn..

Suztats said...

Fantastic fish, Starr! I like it with the paint 'bleeding' and your stitching looks very fishy...

bohemiannie! art said...

Yep. She was right. WHAT a beauty?!?

margaret said...

your fish has turned out beautifully, I am interested in you using acrylic paint as when I have tried it makes the fabric hard even if I used a medium in the paint, how did you get around this problem?

Starr White said...

Thank you so much, dear friends for your kinds words of encouragement. You guys are the best! :))))

Jeri Landers said...

Absolutely wonderful! I think it is a great combination. I can visualize a peacock combo in your future using this artform. I also like the dotted fish painting, very unique!

Mary Ann said...

I absolutely love it...you should certainly keep doing this type of work.

Meg said...

I think the running paint adds to the watery character of the subject, Starr. I love the stitch choices you have made.