Flickr

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Cold Sky


Feeling the cold today.


A cold, heavy winter sky.  Beautiful in a lonely sort of way.



My husband cut the meadow this weekend.  The tall, golden, whispering grasses are silent now.


Even Smokey seems to miss them.   Or maybe he misses the field mice and rabbits who lived here.  It's childish of me, but it makes me feel sad to see it this way.  To think of all the little animals who lost their homes.  I feel responsible for them in my own silly, ridiculous way.


Back at the house, a small clump of daffodils that I brought from my Grandmother's house smiles up at me.


As if to say, "Cheer up!  Spring is on its way."  

All things will be new again soon.

Is there anything on earth more cheerful than a daffodil?

4 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Love your tree/sky pics. Bare trees against the sky are among the things that fascinate and relax me. I can often been seen standing at the patio door looking up into the bare trees to watch a bird, squirrel of a cloud float or rush by.

No need to worry about those little critters, they are most resilient.

And yes, the daffs are so cheerful. I think its because they boast the coming of the new season.

margaret said...

how I love to see the daffodils coming out, I know spring is around the corner then. Trees look superb in their nakedness!

Suztats said...

Eerily beautiful are those tree photos. I'm drawn to them.
Soon the grasses will grow again and whisper secrets on the breeze, and the critters will once again have a place to frolic and play. So nice to see your daff's smiling faces! Here we have 1 1/2 feet of snow on the ground!

bohemiannie! art said...

Don't be silly! Those little critters just went south to FL during season. They know where to go!!!

And daffodils. Another beloved March occurrence where we lived in our Whitestone Woods in Virginia.