Saturday, January 12, 2013

The Fortune Teller's Cup






I wanted to share with you the treasure I had the "good fortune" (teehee) to find at the antique mall yesterday.  I had done some shopping there before Christmas and had already bought myself a little present which I told you about here.  On that visit, I saw this wonderful fortune teller's teacup and saucer and wanted it, but I told myself I just couldn't afford it.  Well, I have been thinking of it ever since, and yesterday I decided to pop in just to see if it was still there and it was!  Yay!!

Apparently, tasseomancy, a divination or fortune-telling method that interprets the patterns left in the sediment at the bottom of the cup, was once a very popular pastime.  You can still buy books on the subject.  I don't think I will be trying to tell the future at the bottom of every cup, but I admit it will be tempting!  For now though, I think I will just be enjoying its quirky prettiness.  As a matter of fact,  I think it's about time for a cuppa!  Won't you join me?


9 comments:

bohemiannie! art said...

Incredible little cup. I didn't know there was such a thing. Of course I've heard of tea leaf reading...actually has a friend who does a bit of it...but a cup for it is quite the find. And I think you did the right thing by splurging on it!

Suztats said...

Good for you treating yourself to something so unique! Does it make a good cup of tea?

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

OMGosh!! You were meant to have it!!! That's for sure. I am so jealous...no, I don't get jealous...I am so HAPPY for you to have it. I am actually excited for you!!
Carol

Anne said...

Hello, Dear! I've come to your blog from the blog of one of my sweet commenters ~ you know how that goes ~ :) ~ Now following you!
This cup is SO beautiful!! Before Halloween I bid on a similar one on eBay, but it went, way, WAY over my bid...now I REALLY want one! :)
So nice to "meet" you!
Hugs,
Anne

margaret said...

what an unusual cup, wonder if it has shared anything with you yet.

shahidul islam said...

Buy quality oak furniture, beds, wardrobes, bedroom, dining, kitchen and occasional furniture with fast UK delivery from Factory Direct Furniture UK.fortune woods

Meg said...

I can't believe I missed this post, dear friend. Guess what I have in my cupboard? A "Gypsy Teresa's Fortune Telling Cup" by Meakin. Here is what they look like: https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=gypsy+teresa's+fortune+telling+cup&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=CpK5Ub2PKMzfkgXvnYC4Bg&ved=0CH8QsAQ&biw=1280&bih=713&sei=TJK5UbTCG8XokAXXvID4Dg
How fabulous that you have a fortune telling cup too!

Ethan Smith said...

Buy and sell new and used modern, outdoor, office, bedroom and home furniture.
Choose from a great selection of gently used furniture for every room in your home.
More here website

Sheamus Warior said...

I would be supportive on all your articles and blogs as a result of they are simply up to the mark.http://www.topazvoyance.com