Pages

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Signs of Spring

Spring comes early in the Deep South.

Flowering quince, one of our earliest bloomers
Daffodils

Dianthus with frost
Frost laden moss
Moss flowering (?)
Rather, it comes in fits and starts.  The first of the week the temperatures were in the '70's.  On Thursday we had sleet and snow.  That's just how it is here.  We can have 3 seasons in one day's time. Winter is a very brief visitor, if it ever really comes at all.  By mid-February we will be full on springtime.  For those of my friends who are still snowbound, I thought you might enjoy a peek at what's to come your way!  And I am trying to embrace whatever season it happens to be today :)

Happy weekend!

6 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Oh how beautiful! Living in northern Indiana, January is our coldest month. But we have had a reprieve as we had a 60 degree day last week. Today is 40 with them temp falling to 0 tonight then 3 snow days forecast. After December 21, I start my countdown to summer. Thank you for the reassurance that it is on its way!

margaret said...

isn`t it wonderful when the spring bulbs pop up. I have signs of daffodils breaking through the soil and the first snowdrop appeared the other day followed by the snow. Planted about 10 bulbs for the first 2 years 1 flowered but last year I had 2 so maybe when the snow has gone there might be more or maybe not

Jules said...

Unusually, from grey clouds and rain we are now in the grip of snow here. It's so nice to see your beautiful photos of Spring Starr, can't wait for my bulbs to start showing!:)

Suztats said...

oh, it's snowing and blowing here today, and the temps are to go down to -23C! Brrr! So, it's especially nice to see signs of spring and pretty flowers. Some day the winter will end, and spring will come our way......but that won't be for another 2 months or so.......

Mary Ann said...

Sigh.....I so wish it was nicer weather here. It's bitterly cold but it's been a very good winter for us here in Toronto considering...eeek...I may have jinxed myself saying that....LOL

We get a fairly early spring some years. By March is gets not bad here and I'm really looking forward to it. I have actually sat outside on the back porch in March with just a sweater on.

Jeri Landers said...

Hello Star, nice to meet you. I live in the upper South, East Tenn, and our weather has been up and down all month. Spring one day, deep winter the next. But the crocus and daffodil bulbs are all peeking up and I could scarcely believe it when I noticed my little violas were still blooming after a snow storm.Spring can't come soon enough!