Sunday, January 13, 2013

Candlelight and Calm




Do you ever feel a little bit like you've lost your way?  I do.  Sometimes.  Or rather, I feel like I'm not quite sure where to go next.  I have lots of creative ideas swirling around in my head, but can't seem to decide which one to go with.  Like the needle on my creative compass is spinning around and can't find true north.

It's an unsettling feeling - a sort of anxiety that sets in.  I want to be busy creating, but I just can't seem to decide what to create.  When this happens to me, I sometimes find it helpful to write in my journal.  It helps me to pin my thoughts down so that I can sort them out.  I find it particularly helpful to journal in a very calm, quiet atmosphere.  My favorite little ritual is to set out some pretty candles surrounded by my little treasures that inspire me.  The treasures I gather on my walks in the forest.  And my wise little owl whose wisdom I hope will point me in the right direction.  I can honestly say it always helps.  Even if I don't come away with a specific solution to what's bothering me, it is still comforting to lay it all out on paper.  Many times, I do find the answers I'm seeking from these little conversations with myself.

Does this ever happen to you?  And if it does, how do you sort things out?  I would really love to hear your thoughts and to find out if I'm the only person who frequently finds themselves searching for the next path to take.  And if you pray, would you mind saying a little prayer for me?  The future is very uncertain for me right now, and I'm having a hard time being brave today.  Thank you :)

3 comments:

margaret said...

Starr of course I will pray for you I am sure the good Lord will listen.

I get those same feelings, so many things I want to do but do not know how or where to start the more I think about it the more I get bogged down.
Yesterday in desperation I phoned a friend, 3 hours later I said I would have to go but she has told me to pick a patchwork block I like and make it and see if that helps so I will try and do that.
You have lots of treasures from your walks in your wonderful woods.
Take care Starr

Roma said...

I recently have lost my way, suffering from severe depression and PTSD which has brought an end to my former life, and found me creating a new one as I am unable to take medication. I often struggle with the desire to be creative and unable to chose a direction.

What I do is similar to what you do, only I do it first thing in the morning with a cup of coffee and a daylight. I write and write until I have purged myself and while I write I make lists in my journal that help me organize my day.

Secondly, I ALWAYS have a go to project in the works. For me it is needlework. When that restless feeling hits, I pick up my current project. How do I pick that project? I just open my stash of "projects and ideas" and pick one and begin.

Beginning is the key. Don't question, don't second guess. Just begin. In the end, although I may not have been super inspired to begin with, I have an end product that makes me smile, and I feel good about accomplishing something.

Starr White said...

Thank you, Margaret and Roma. It really is so comforting to know you're not alone. And yes, Roma, I think your advice to "just begin" is very sound. I will take it! :)