Saturday, December 29, 2012

Pretty Presents


Hello, everyone!!  I hope you all had a very merry Christmas and I hope you will have a very happy New Year.  I thought I would show you a couple of my favorite things I got for Christmas this year.  Here I am wearing my beautiful mohair scarf knitted for me my by beautiful friend Meg from New Zealand.  It is to die for, and in all my favorite colors.  I love it so much, I'm thinking I might have to break down and learn to knit!  The parcel she sent was filled with a bounty of wonderful things from beautiful New Zealand.  Thank you, dear Meg!


And then there is my little luncheon plate and teacup that I bought for myself! (Do you do that too?)  I picked it up at a local antiques mall, and I just love it.  I'm not sure how old it is, but I would guess that it's probably from the 1960's.  There is a stamp on the bottom that says Made In Germany, and it is numbered, but there are no other markings that would identify the company that made it.  Those little white snowball-like cookies are also from Meg - they are scrumptious iced pepper gingerbread.  Yum.


I love the pale blue glazing on the inside of the cup and around the rim of the plate.  I also love the delicate touches of black on the rim of the cup and the handle.  I love a little touch of black on just about anything. (Must be my dramatic side)  But, my favorite thing is how the outside of the cup is faceted, and upon each individual facet a different little motif is painted - a mixture of fruit and flowers.


It's such a treat to sit in front of the fire and have a nice little snack in the afternoon on my little luncheon plate.  I love such little rituals that make the everyday and ordinary something a little more special.  It's a tiny indulgence that makes life a little more enjoyable.  Plus, I get to pretend that I'm an elegant lady having tea at Downton Abbey or something.  Some people never grow up!

4 comments:

Michelle May said...

That scarf looks so pretty on you! Love that teacup and plate. What a wonderful find. Yes indeed, I'm all about "Merry Christmas to Me." I buy myself the bestest gifties! hee,hee,hee. ;)
Hugs

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Lovely picture of you wearing your gift. It's lovely. I really like the little sparklies in the yarn.

Nice gift you gave yourself too! I usually buy a book. You are much more creative.

Best New Year wishes from me to you.
Carol

Suztats said...

Your new scarf really suits you! It's a lovely gift. I like the idea of gifting oneself, and I ordered myself some CQing supplies.
Would M'Lady like another spot o'tea? Little indulgences make life just a little special. We should all be good to ourselves now and then.
Happy New Year!

Starr White said...

You ladies are so great :) I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who buys a little something for themselves! Thank you dearies!