Saturday, December 8, 2012

Paring Down




I love the spare, stark beauty of winter.  It is quiet and peaceful to the eyes and the ears, and the soul.  And, I must admit, there is also a haunting, lonely quality to the landscape that resonates deep within me.  I am an introverted, contemplative soul, and winter suits me.

I love the sparkle of frost.  The clean, crystalline quality to the air.  Thoughts become simpler, sharper, uncluttered.  Somehow, I am one of those people whose inner world is greatly influenced by the outer world.  Winter brings peace.  Quiet. Clarity.

This year, I am determined to enjoy the Christmas season even if it means that my house will not be decorated like a spread in Country Living.  Even if my family has to eat Pillsbury cookies instead of homemade ones.  For so many years, I have deceived myself into thinking that I must provide my children with a Martha Stewart Christmas - everything homemade and perfectly executed.  Well, that has never happened, and I have always felt as if I have let them and myself down somehow.  I wanted their childhood memories of Christmas to be perfect.

This year, my thoughts have changed.  Perhaps the simple beauty of the spare winter landscape has impressed upon me that it is ok not to have all that stuff.  Sometimes, simple is best.  So, I have cleared my schedule of superfluous gatherings.  I have decided not to put out all of my usual decorations that literally takes days to put up, and even worse, days to take down and put away.  And, I think I might even take a break from making things.  I need some time to rest and recharge my creative spirit.  Instead of staying up late working to finish handmade gifts and craft projects, I want to sit by the fire and read.  Walk in the woods.  Take naps.  Maybe do a jigsaw puzzle with my kids.  And if I feel like it, I might just putter around in the kitchen a little.  But, you will not find me struggling in vain to create a Martha Stewart Christmas at my house this year.  Instead of trying to create some idealized version of Christmas, I am going to take a deep breath and relax and allow Christmas to gently unfold around us this year.

Thank you all so much for visiting my blog this year, and for all your kind, and encouraging comments you have left for me.  What a gift you all have been.

God bless you, and Merry Christmas everyone.  I wish you joy and peace and hearts overflowing with love and laughter and thanksgiving.

4 comments:

Suztats said...

Like you, I find the softness of winter appealing. It's starkness does weild a haunting beauty, a quiet, where contemplation and silent walks in the woods calm me.
Wishing you and yours a Blessed Christmastime enjoying each other with love and laughter.

margaret said...

How I lover the trees when not in leaf, so many patterns and shapes to see. I did not see the beauty of these trees till I did my C & G in embroidery and that made me look at things in a different way.
I see where you are coming form about Christmas, have a peaceful joyful time with your family

Rebel Blossom @ Studio 2sixty said...

Starr, I loved this post...it was a wonderful reminder to all of us that not everything has to be perfect all the time, and that in fact when we get so consumed with creating this imaginary perfection, we miss out on a whole lotta wonderful...
Bless you
Merry Christmas to you and yours
Laurie Anne xoxo

bohemiannie! art said...

I haven't looked back...but this reminds me of the post you wrote about allowing your art to be less than perfect. I'm very happy that you're seeing and changing things about yourself that bring you peace. Your family will remember the joy and love and laughter ...and ease of the season.