Flickr

Monday, November 12, 2012

Living History - Part Two


The next stop on our tour of the Pioneer Days exhibit at Ft. Toulouse is the Creek Indian village (my favorite, I think).


These structures are replicas of the types of homes the Creek/Muskogee Indians would have been living in around the year 1814.

Some of the beautiful faces and incredible costumes.....



This beautiful man was called "Little Hawk".  He was breath-taking.  I must admit to being a bit tongue-tied asking for a photo (blush).




Gorgeous hand-woven baskets and foodstuffs representing the typical diet of the Eastern Woodland Indians at around this time period...things like corn, squashes, pumpkins, nuts, berries, etc.

The Native American exhibit holds a very special place in my heart.  My husband's great grandmother was a Cherokee Indian woman, and the physical characteristics are very prominent in his appearance - the dark dark hair and eyes, the copper penny colored skin,  the prominent nose and noble bearing.  And also, perhaps most importantly, the land we live on was once inhabited by these beautiful people.  We often find arrowheads, bits of pottery, and beads left behind by them.  When I walk in the woods, I feel their spirits here.  It saddens me that very little remains here of their people and their culture.  Our state, our counties, towns, and rivers bear their names, but they are not here.  I try to honor them by remembering that this land I love is not really mine.  I am just another in a long line of custodians who are privileged to call this area my home.  I honor them by remembering.

1 comment:

margaret said...

so interesting, thank you once again for taking us on such an interesting trip. How wonderful to see these houses and how these people lived, the costumes are beautiful. Life in the olden days was at such a slower pace but no internet!! can manage without a lot of mod cons but since I have found blogs etc life is so much more interesting.