Saturday, November 24, 2012

Hunting and Gathering


Dried seed pods from the Florida anise.  I wonder if I could use them in cooking?  Must Google that.


Turkey tail fungus.  Can you see why they are called that?


They have the texture of suede.  Leathery on the back and soft on the front.


Gorgeous dried seed heads.  I love that they look like a little sunburst.


 Muscadine vines gathered in September.


Stripped of their leaves and soaking in water to make them pliable again.  I'm planning to make my own wreaths with these this year.  Perhaps some small ones for hanging on drawer knobs or ornaments for the tree.


Treasures from my walk.  Bits of bark and lichen covered twigs.


Seed heads from the wildflowers in the meadow.  Acorn caps, Magnolia cones from the tree in my front yard.


Plain wooden birdhouse ornaments (from Hobby Lobby) painted and covered in bark, lichen, and dried flowers with a pine cone petal roof.


These were soooo much fun to make!!





Each November I have the privilege of preparing the Thanksgiving feast for my family.  I love doing it, but I cannot deny that it leaves me a little tired afterward.  So, it has become sort of a tradition of mine that on the day after Thanksgiving, when everyone else in the world seems to be going to the shopping mall, I spend the day at home crafting, sewing, napping, basically doing whatever I like.  It's my one day off - the whole year!  No cooking, no cleaning, no laundry, nothing that can be called "work".

So, yesterday I spent the morning walking through the woods with a little basket and a pair of old scissors.  Hunting and gathering little treasures.  Pieces of bark that have fallen off of old dead trees, acorn caps of all sizes, dried seedheads from wildflowers, lichen covered twigs, leathery tree fungus, etc.  And then, I spent the afternoon crafting little woodland ornaments.  Aaaaaahhhhhh.......bliss!

6 comments:

Suztats said...

Sounds like a very nice way to spend the day! Your little tree houses are so cute!

margaret said...

once again you have transported me to a wonderful place, how I enjoy wandering through your beautiful woods and seeing all the goodies you collect on the way. Those turkey fungus are amazing.Your bird houses look so pleasing to the eye I am sure the birds will appreciate all the love you have put into them.
A day of doing nothing but what you want to do is so well deserved

Starr White said...

Thanks Suz! That's pretty much a perfect day in my book :)

Starr White said...

Thank you Margaret! You have given me an idea! I must have a tree for the birds this year! Thank you!

bohemiannie! art said...

Oh that does sound like a blissful day. And the birdhouses are perfectly wonderful. I know they'll have happy residents. Your photos made me smile.

Rebel Blossom @ Studio 2sixty said...

Your beautiful photos made me wish I was a forest fairy :) Such beauty gets overlooked...thank you for reminding me.

I love the idea of an entire day off! You deserve it! xx