Flickr

Monday, November 26, 2012

Christy, the Christmas Elf


Meet Christy - the little Christmas elf.  My first doll ever!!  I only have the one picture, because this was a total experiment, and I really wasn't sure if it was going to turn out well or not.  I recently purchased Salley Mavor's book,  Felt Wee Folk,  and was dying to make something from it.  Most of the patterns in the book are for little fairies, but I adapted them to make an elf.  I think she turned out pretty well!  Well enough to make me want to make more of these little dolls.  They are quick and easy.  I made her in an afternoon.  These would be great as ornaments or place card holders at the children's table.  I might have to make a whole tree full of these little guys!  If you've ever  thought about making a doll, I highly recommend this book.  Great photos, great step-by-step instructions, and lots of inspiration.  Check it out and make some dolls of your very own! :)

8 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Oh, she is adorable! Such a versatile pattern too. I can see you making all kinds of characters!

Rebel Blossom @ Studio 2sixty said...

How sweet! and made it in an afternoon you say?? That's my kind of project :) Can't wait to see your elfin army come to life xx

Suztats said...

Christy is a cutie!

Starr White said...

Thanks, ladies! I bought brown yarn yesterday to make some brunette elves!

margaret said...

she is so cool, am I right in thinking it is a clothes peg?

Mary Ann said...

So darn cute:)


I have her book too and I love her work. She is such a talented artist.

Starr White said...

Indeed you are correct, Margaret!! I deviated from the instructions a wee bit by using a wooden peg doll body and drilling holes for the chenille stem arms and legs. (I almost never follow directions!!!) :)))

Jules said...

She's wonderful, well done!x