Flickr

Monday, October 29, 2012

Pumpkin Custard


My mother recently gave me this lovely set of fluted ramekins.  They were practically crying out for something yummy.  I like custard!  And, I like pumpkin.  So, I decided to combine the two.


First, I lined the bottoms of the ramekins with a simple crust of crushed gingersnap cookies (biscuits) and melted butter.


Farm fresh eggs from a friend.


Add some sugar, vanilla, whole milk, and a pinch of salt and you have lovely custard.  Then stir in a cup of cooked pumpkin and some pumpkin pie spice and voila!


You have pumpkin custard!  I sprinkled a tiny bit of nutmeg on top just to make it pretty.


They smelled so heavenly when they were cooking!  I had to have a taste while they were still warm.  About halfway through,  I remembered to take this picture for you.  I guess you can tell, it turned out well.

3 comments:

margaret said...

The custard made my mouth water, lovely. Have only had pumpkin as soup and veg, never as a dessert. Wish they sold them earlier in the year when they are smaller as far too big for one for cooking.
Maybe I will treat !! myself to one when I go shopping this morning yum yum. Used to eat them a lot when I lived in Australia.

Starr White said...

Ha ha Margaret! I have to confess - I cheated and used canned pumpkin! It's excellent quality and soooo much easier than peeling, chopping, boiling etc. I wish you could pop over for tea - there's one left!

Rebel Blossom @ Studio 2sixty said...

Wishing the screen was 'scratch and sniff' right now! :)
I have been making alot of pumpkin and other squash soups...yum!