Saturday, September 15, 2012

Artistic Exercise: Textures

As an artistic exercise, I recently decided to collect a series of photographs exploring the myriad textures found in nature.  It is a subject I find myself returning to again and again.  Here are a few examples of interesting textures I have collected so far.

The smooth caps of these two Amanita Jacksonii emerging from their cups.


The smooth ribs of a hosta leaf.

Cracked wood and chipping paint.  Not exactly found in nature, but caused by exposure to natural elements.

A soft, feathery yet highly textured mimosa leaf.

The heartwarming, soul-satisfying woodstack - expertly stacked by my darling husband.  I love this photo. Textures within textures. The grain of the wood.  The circular grooves left by the blade of the saw.  The tightly packed wedges and the spaces between.

Pea gravel. Smooth and cool individually, yet rough and gritty collectively.

Lichen on the deeply ribbed bark of a poplar.

I love this juxtaposition of moss and stone, hardness and softness.

Soft, fluffy little puffballs of blossoms on this meadow wildflower.  Also note the many different colors on this one flower - blues, magentas, pinks, lavenders.  Simply gorgeous! 

I believe these types of exercises are beneficial to myself as an artist as well as contributing to my spiritual well-being.  When we go out into our world with the intention to be mindful, we inevitably slow down and see so much more than we would otherwise.  The world seems so much richer and there is a greater depth and detail to the beauty we see around us.  It contributes to the sense of wonder and of gratitude.  I encourage you today to slow down a bit.  To look at your world in a different way.  Mindfully look for specific things - textures or colors or shapes - whatever you like.  Just look.  Really look.  You will be amazed at how much more you see.  And please, if you decide to blog about your experience as I have, drop me a note so I can see your world through your eyes.  Perhaps you have noticed some things that I have overlooked.  Take a little time today to be mindful and enjoy your world in a whole new way.  Blessings.

3 comments:

Suztats said...

I agree! I could spend an entire day just examining the nature in my yard. It's meditiative, but also brings me more awareness of what's around me.
I enjoyed your post.

Starr White said...

Thank you Suz for reading and commenting on my blog. It's so very encouraging. Bless you :)

Valerie Gardiner said...

How I love your photos, Starr, they are so inspirational, wouldn't it be wonderful to have the time to make drawings of these patterns. There just aren't enough hours in the day!