Flickr

Thursday, September 27, 2012

A Haunting We Will Go..........!


This week I have started a fun new project - a haunted house!  I love Halloween, and I wanted to do a project that would allow me to incorporate a lot of different elements - applique', embroidery, and a new technique for me - needle felting.


I started out with a brainstorming session.  I just sat down and roughly sketched out some ideas - elements of a haunted house scene that appealed to me.



Then I chose elements from each of the sketches that I liked the most and put them together, making notes about construction and technique. 



With my sketch complete, I set about creating the individual pieces of the picture.  I started with the central component, the haunted house.


The house is made of felt, with cut-outs for the windows and behind the little door that opens.  There will be a little surprise behind that door next time!  I have only been stitching for a year or so, and this project will give me some good practice.  I know some of my stitches are a bit wobbly, but I figured since it's a haunted house, it would only add to the old spooky run-down look!  Some of the elements will be created separately, like the haunted house, and attached to the picture like applique', and other elements will be stitched directly to the background.  I'm hoping this technique will add interest and dimension to the final piece.  I'm having lots of fun and learning a lot.  Thanks for stopping by, and until next time - happy haunting!

4 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I absolutely LOVE Halloween. Your house is so cool I just LOVE it!!

Starr White said...

Thank you so much, Carol! I'm having lots of fun with the project. I'll be posting progress pics as I go along, so stay tuned!

margaret said...

just popped over from SF glad I did and will now enjoy following your journeys

Starr White said...

Hi Margaret! and welcome! so glad you stopped by :)