Flickr

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Variations on a Theme

Sometimes all it takes is a simple suggestion to get things rolling again.  As I've mentioned before, summer is not my favorite season.  The oppressive heat and humidity seem to drain the creative life right out of me, and I have been struggling the past month in that respect.  So, my friend Emily politely suggested that I paint a little something for her newly remodeled guest bedroom.  She gave me some hints about color and theme, and away I went!  I had one idea pop into my head while washing the dishes of all things, and from there a whole series of little paintings was born. 

I sat down with a dozen or so liitle squares of craft paper and just started drawing different variations of the original idea.  Before I knew it, I had 14 different designs.  Some of them I like very much.  Others - not so much.  Some of them I didn't even finish painting because I didn't like the direction they were going.   I painted them all according to the color suggestions Emily gave me, but I could vary this series endlessly with different color combinations.

I've been planning to open an Etsy shop for almost a year now, and I was thinking I could develop a series of paintings from these little sketches to get me started.  You could help me out by letting me know which ones you like best.  That will give me an idea of what direction to take them.  I took a photo of all of them together and numbered them so you can easily vote for your favorite.  Even if you're not a fan of abstract art, just let me know which ones catch your eye the most.  You can vote for more than one!

Have a look and see what you think.

1 comment:

Suztats said...

3 and 4 caught my eye, Starr.