Thursday, July 12, 2012

Black-Eyed Susans



These tough little flowers dominate our landscape at present.  They seem to thrive in the heat and dry conditions we have had the past few weeks.  I was very surprised to learn, upon close inspection, that their "eye" is not really black at all, but a deep dark purple.  You can see it clearly in a couple of the photos above.  And I just love that wee little baby one hugging its mama.  Aren't they pretty spilling over the edge of the red clay banks?  When everything and everybody else seems to be flagging in the heat, these cheerful, pretty little flowers are an encouraging sight. 

Here is a little colored-pencil sketch I made from the second photo above.  I made it in preparation for doing a textile piece on the following fabric background.

This was the result of some further experimentation with making interesting backgrounds for my textile pieces.  I chose three coordinating fabrics, cut them up into little squares and then sewed them onto a piece of canvas with the machine.  I was really happy with how it turned out and decided to use it to showcase a black-eyed Susan.

Here is where I am now.  I photocopied my sketch and cut it up to use as a template for cutting out my fabric petals which were backed with a mid-weight fusible interfacing.  The interfacing stiffens the fabric and helps prevent frayed edges.  I think it's really pretty already!  But, I want to embellish it with some stitching, so I have lots more to do.  Even though I am a beginner, and still have much to learn, the embroidery is the fun part for me.  It's a little frustrating not being able to whip out these perfectly stitched masterpieces of embroidery, but for now, I have to be satisfied with what I can do.  Wish me luck!

No comments: