Flickr

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue, by Starr White
This is a little abstract painting I did in a little over an hour yesterday.  I love abstract art, but it has always been the most difficult style for me to paint.  In fact, this is the first one I've ever done that I really like.  I have tried painting abstracts many times in the past and have never been satisfied with the result.  And, it was a struggle - trying to 'paint an abstract'.  But, I believe this is further evidence of a shift in consciousness for me.  I didn't think so much about what I was doing.  I just sort of felt my way through it.  What I mean is, I knew that I wanted a dark background with lighter squares or rectangles in the foreground.  I knew that I wanted it to have a very organic, not-too-perfect feel to it.  And then, I departed from thinking and let something else take over.  I just kept painting rectangles, dipping my brush randomly into different shades of blue.  And, there was something else new.  I knew when to stop.  I just knew.  That has never happened before either.  I usually agonize over when to stop, and I almost always think I could go back and do something more or something better.  But not this time.

Now, in the interest of full disclosure, I must tell you that I have started reading "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by Betty Edwards.  But, I'm only on Chapter Three.  I've only just completed the first exercise.  I haven't gotten to the part where you actually start the exercises to teach you to access the right side of the brain yet.  So far, it's just been a discussion about the roles the two hemispheres play in helping us sort out our environment.  So, I don't think it's that.  Emily and I have been discussing this concept of letting go and working intuitively and freely - outside the confines of conventional thinking. But, I really can't pinpoint the exact cause of the shift or why it seems to have happened overnight and almost without my being aware of it. I just know that something has changed.  I feel freer and more relaxed about my work.  Something inside me that has been tight and constrained has been loosed and is unfurling. It is difficult to describe in words.  It's just sort of a feeling of freedom and confidence and knowing.  I like this feeling.  I feel like an artist.

8 comments:

MoonAngel said...

Wonderful - I would call theat type if ainting "spirit painting" - it guides you... And you know when to stop...

MoonAngel said...

Wonderful - I would call theat type if ainting "spirit painting" - it guides you... And you know when to stop...

MoonAngel said...

Sorry for the misspellings voice to text isn't so great

Starr White said...

Oh, that's a very good name for it, MoonAngel. That's exactly what it felt like. Don't worry about the spelling! The kind intention and meaning still shine through, and is greatly appreciated :)

Emily said...

Really nice work, Starr! Your painting is really interesting to look at.

Julia said...

Very cool! My spiderman Thomas from Connell's told me about you. Love your stuff :)

Starr White said...

Thank you, Emily! I'm so glad you like it. You're always so encouraging.

Starr White said...

Hi Julia. I'm so glad you stopped by for a visit. I will have to thank Sir Thomas for sending you my way!