Flickr

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Passion!

This incredible beauty is called the Passion Vine.  What a perfect name!  It certainly does seem to grow and bloom and climb with passion.  This is another beauty from our brushpile, which is practically a garden in itself.  I think I could have a blog devoted to all the wonderful things going on in and around it.  I have been trying for a couple of weeks to find out what this gorgeous thing is and  to tell you the honest truth, I was a little bit afraid of it! (Rocky Horror Picture Show flashbacks) It grows vigorously - covering the brushpile in just a few weeks, and look at those enormous egg-shaped seed pods.  They are the size of a hen's egg!  This thing looks as if it could take over if it wanted to.  I have to say, it is the most exquisite flower I have ever seen growing in the wild here.

I did some research, and discovered that it is a cultivated botanical called Passiflora, for all you armchair botanists out there.  And as it turns out, the name comes from an association with the passion of Christ.  "The lacy halo represents the crown of thorns; the five stamens, the five wounds; the ten petal-like parts, the ten faithful apostles." - from The Southern Living Garden Book.

Now that I know I don't have to be afraid of it taking over the place, I can enjoy it even more.  I hope you enjoy it too!

No comments: