Flickr

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Strawberries!

As you know, I have recently fallen in love with the art of raised embroidery, also known as stumpwork.  My lovely friend Emily, from the The Floss Box, was kind enough to share one of her beautiful embroidery patterns with me that is perfect for a beginner.  It is a lovely pattern of a strawberry plant.  So, being the nature nerd that I am, I embarked upon a study of strawberries.  As luck would have it, we just happen to have some wild strawberry plants growing in our meadow, so I snapped a few photos for reference.


And yes, I did eat this little beauty!  It was still warm from the sun.  It was very sour! Isn't it cute?


Strawberry pattern courtesy of Emily Wilmarth of The Floss Box
And, voila!  My very first ever raised embroidery.  Now, as you can see, it turned out to be a sort of sampler. And it should be noted that I changed Emily's design a little bit.  My goal was to combine her pattern with the little strawberry plant I had photographed.  So,  I made the strawberries different sizes and changed the leaves from smooth-sided to serrated and divided the leaf on the left into 3.  This project was an experiment.  I didn't have the nerve to attempt detached leaves, so I played around with them a bit.  I like the padded ones the best, although my stitching isn't so great.  I need lots of practice.  I had fun with the turkey knot stamens on the flowers.  This was my very first time trying those.  Also, my first time using the raised stem stitch band technique on the strawberries.  It was so much fun! It was so exciting to see them come to life as I worked.  I used black thread and made french knots for the seeds on the first one I did, and I thought it looked like a slice of watermelon, so I used brown straight stitches for the other two, and I like them much better.
 Overall, I am satisfied with how my first stumpwork project turned out, and I want to thank Emily for sharing her beautiful pattern with me, and beg her forgiveness for not doing it justice.  If you want to see how gorgeous this is suppose to be, there is a photograph of it in Emily's Book
I am very much a beginner, and I have so much to learn, but I am enjoying the journey.  I am grateful to be able to share it with you!

1 comment:

Meg said...

It's stunning. You're so clever to adapt it. Yes, the serrated leaves look wonderful. Well done on your first raised/padded embroidery!