|Photo by Starr White|
First, I made a template by drawing the shape on a piece of paper. Next, I cut it out and used it to cut a shape from the fabric, making it a little larger than the template so that I could applique' it to a piece of canvas.
Here, I have applique'd the cap and a little felt stem and begun to add the little white spots on the cap. I used a combination of turkey knots and french knots to re-create the shaggy little spots. I think I might go back and add more later, but this was enough to let me see that I was on to something! I also cut out a couple of oak leaf shapes from brown felt.
I wasn't quite sure how to depict pine needles, so I did a little experiment on a separate piece of canvas to see how it would look before I added to the mushroom. I tried to think of some super artistic way to portray the pine needles, but in the end, I went with really long straight stitches. I think it turned out OK!
So, here is where we are now. We have mushroom with pine needles! I added one strand of a burnt orange thread to try to represent the color of pine needles. Just a few here and there. I like the effect, and I'm also happy with the fact that I accidentally but happily reflected the orange of the mushroom cap in the bed of pine straw. I plan to work on attaching the oak leaves today and perhaps trying to represent that little teeny tiny baby pine tree in the foreground. Overall, I am happy with how it's coming along, and I am already planning a larger, more detailed piece. I think I might try painting the background next time so there isn't so much empty white space. It's so much fun to work on these little projects. I learn so much from each and every one. I hope you like it!