Flickr

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Don't Be Crewel

Today I scored big time at the thrift store!  I found these wonderful crewel work seashells for $3.00.  They're a bit dusty and banged up, but the crewel-work is still in perfect condition.  There are 4 separate little frames and they were all bound up with masking tape.  I didn't really know what I had until I got them home and unwrapped them, and voila!
Aren't they pretty?  I could sort of tell from the colors that they were pretty old.  I guessed late '70's or early '80's, and I was right.  After unwrapping them, I turned them over to inspect the back and found this.....

The date on the back leads me to believe that these were a lovingly handmade Christmas gift to some lucky someone.  Which also makes me wonder about the artist and the recipient of this lovely gift.  It would have taken a long time to make these and have them framed up.  A lot of thought and care went into them.  Were they made from a pattern?  Or are they original works of art?  I wonder, also, if the recipient truly appreciated the thought, time, and effort that went into creating these lovely little works of art.  I always worry about that when I give a hand-made gift to someone.  I find that people who make things themselves are more appreciative of handmade gifts, whereas other people prefer something purchased.  It makes me a little sad that they were discarded on the dusty shelves at the thrift store.  To me, there is love and life in those stitches.  Because they are so lovingly hand-made, they seem to have a spirit about them.  I think that is why they called to me from the back of a shelf, crowded around by many other discarded things.  They knew that I would hear them and rescue them and take them home to be loved and appreciated once more.  They knew that I could feel their spirit.  They still have love to give, and I am happy to receive it.  So, thank you, S.D.A., whomever you are and wherever you are now.  I have found your beautiful seashells, and I love them.  Thank you for the love and care and time you put into them.  They will be enjoyed for many more years to come.

1 comment:

Meg said...

Starr, these are beautiful. Having now seen that they are framed, I shall revise my instructions for cleaning them and send them to you. Nice rescue!