Monday, April 30, 2012

Wonderland Woods





Walking in the woods is good for the soul.  Sometimes I walk for exercise, but usually I walk for therapy.  It helps me unravel the tangle of thoughts in my head.  These photos are from my favorite, well-worn trail that winds around the meadow and beside the big creek.  The trail begins in a sun-drenched golden meadow filled with wildflowers, and then it descends sharply down into cool, deep shadows.  It winds along the bank of a deep stream and then around the meadow and beside the big creek alternating between patches of dappled sunlight and deep shade.  I am continually amazed at the diversity of habitat and wildlife in this short expanse of trail that is only 1/3 mile in length.  It makes a complete circle, so I can just walk round and round without having to concentrate on where I'm going.  It frees my mind.  It is relaxing and meditative and soothing to my spirit.  Time slows. Problems unravel or reveal themselves to be merely worrisome thoughts - specters which never materialize.  I can breathe a little deeper.  I can feel an inner stillness growing.   
I was heartbroken when my sweet and humble companion Smokey caught a young squirrel.  He looks very proud of himself, doesn't he?  But then, Mama gave him a good scolding and he really does look remorseful.  So, I feel guilty because he's just doing what dogs do, and we walk on......




3 comments:

Emily said...

Poor squirrel!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I know this feeling.
I think you and I must have a lot in common. Besides your love of nature, Smokey is a darker version of my friend Junior.

Meg said...

And poor old Smokey. He looked so thrilled with himself in the first photo, and in the second photo he looks thoroughly told off.