Flickr

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

A Little Seahorse

This is a little embroidery/applique' I did for my mother's birthday present.  I'm really happy with how it turned out.  I really didn't have a plan, I just sort of made it up as I went along.  Now, I want to do another one with some sea weed and coral and perhaps a shell or starfish.  This was my first time using the feather stitch, and I really went to town making coral with it.  I love stitching!  It's always so much fun to learn a new stitch and then be able to incorporate it into a piece.  The best part is when it turns out better than I expected. Yay!
My very great friend Meg has recently introduced me to stumpwork embroidery.  I had heard of it before, but I didn't really know what it was.  She sent me some photos of some toadstools made by Jan Kerton of Australia, and it set my brain on fire.  Now I am obsessed with learning stumpwork.  Of course, I will share my journey with you here.  Perhaps you might be interested in learning, too!  Emily Wilmarth at The Floss Box  has some gorgeous embroidery patterns that would be suitable for incorporating some stumpwork elements into and a couple of stumpwork tutorials on her lovely site, so I will probably start there.  I can't wait!

No comments: