Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Shroomies

I am so excited to share with you what I've been up to.  I have just completed two ornaments for my future Etsy shop and I am really happy with how they turned out.  As you know, I love mosses and lichens, and ferns.  But what you may not know is that I simply adore mushrooms as well.  They are one of my favorite subjects, and I am creating a whole line of ornaments with a mushroomy theme.  Some of them are based on the real thing, and some of them are purely fantastical shroomies from my imagination.  The first one is my rendition of the beautiful Fly Agaric (Amanita Muscaria).  It is a combination of applique' and embroidery.  It is made with polyester felt and stuffed with poly-fill.  As you can see,  I went to town embellishing these little beauties with white french-knot speckles and beneath is a carpet of french-knot mosses.  I just love this little guy.  It makes me happy.  I will be making more.....


photo by Starr White

This is the second I have completed so far.  I really love this one, too. (How will I ever be able to part with them?)  I was inspired by a photograph for this one, and I'm not sure what it's botanical name is, so let's just call them little orange cuties.  Sounds good to me.  For this one, I used a beautiful batik dyed orange fabric for the applique' and embroidered the stems and the little baby fern fronds.  I have a dear friend who loves orange and bright green, and this one makes me think of her.

photo by Starr White



photo by Starr White


I have completed the top for this third one, but am having great difficulty procuring the orange micro-check gingham ribbon I want for the loop at the top.  But you can have a sneak peek at it, too.  I even considered giving this one a sweet little bow at the base of the hanger.  What do you think?  It was also inspired by a lovely photograph of a plump bolete mushroom growing in a patch of mosses that looked like teeny tiny little ferns, so of course, I couldn't resist.

I will probably keep making variations of these until I get tired of it, so I hope you want to see more.  You do, don't you?  Yay!  I'll keep them coming.  Meanwhile, if you know of a good on-line source for 1/4" microcheck gingham ribbon in a multitude of colors, would you please let me know?  I just love it, and am having a very difficult time finding a supplier.  Most of them sell only wholesale.  Bummer.  Thanks for your help, and I hope you enjoy my little shroomy babies.



No comments: