Tuesday, March 20, 2012

An Early Morning Walk



We have whitewater!  Due to heavy spring rains, the big creek is full and flowing beautifully.  The tangle of debris in the tree on the right (about 20 feet above the creekbed) is an indicator of how high the water can get during heavy periods of rain.

Reindeer Moss, photo by Starr White
 It is widely believed that this lovely moss grows only on the sub-arctic tundra of the far north, but nope!  Here it is in the Deep South.  And we have lots of it.  Unfortunately, I believe it is an indicator of how poor our soil is in this area, but it sure is pretty.  Every cloud has a silver lining - this one just happens to be mossy.
Is this a blooming moss or a fungus?  I'm not sure, but isn't it spectacular?  It's really teeny tiny.  I just love finding treasures like this on the forest floor.  It looks like tube worms at a deep sea thermal vent.  I love this photo.
I am constantly thrilled and amazed and fascinated by the beauty of the natural world and especially the wonders that abound here in my very own little patch of paradise.  Thus, the name of my blog.  It truly is a wonderland to me.  Thank you for sharing it with me.

No comments: